Re: [Mondo-devel] No space available and devfsd missing

Re: [Mondo-devel] No space available and devfsd missing

yann49
Hi,
Thank you for your help.
I made the suggested changes :
- uninstalled everything
- reinstall using 15.04 package mindi-busybox
- used the -S and -T options
- introduced new parameter to EXTRA_SPACE in mindi.conf

Now it seems it is working.
I say "it seems" because I get no error message BUT the process took a
long very very long time to get my ISO images (47 images !).
In fact it was so long that after one day (24h) I aborted the process.

Do you have any idea to where I should investigate to reduce this
unacceptable timing.
Best regards

Re: [Mondo-devel] No space available and devfsd missing

Gattegno, Victor (GSD CSC / GCC)-2
Hi,

To check what's happening, you can check /var/log/mondoarchive.log file.

To know how many medias will be generated, you can check on your screen and in your mondoarchive.log the following: "Your backup will occupy approximately xxxxx media"  (xxxxx could be three, four, etc.)

During mondoarchive you can also check what's happenin:
    # ps alxSm --cols 600 | grep -E 'mindi|mondo|TTY' | grep -v grep

Maybe you could exclude some directories, partitions or file systems containing big files, through -E mondoarchive option. Mondorescue excludes already some, listed in:
http://trac.mondorescue.org/wiki/StandardsCompliance

Here is the mondoarchive doc:
http://www.mondorescue.org/docs/mondoarchive.8.html
http://www.mondorescue.org/docs/mondorestore.8.html

The iso files created by mondoarchive can be opened and browsed through 7-Zip, Ark, FOSSology, etc.
It can also be mounted through "mount -o loop" in order to check it.
In your backup (iso files) already done, archives/biggielist.txt file lists the name of the big files backuped, otherwise, "big files" are the last iso(s) created, check it eventually.

The -N mondoarchive option could also be useful:
-N : exclude mounted network fs

Other unuseful big files: BTRFS snapshots

If you have some, exclude directories containing kcore, example : -E "/var/lib/ntp/proc|/var/lib/named/proc" because /proc could be mounted on these directories ( ntp is running in chroot by defaul), and /proc/kcore is a huge file.

Some big files to exclude (122 Mb on my SLES 11 machine):

    /usr/share/icons/default.kde4/icon-theme.cache
    /usr/share/icons/oxygen/icon-theme.cache
    /var/tmp/kdecache-root/kpc/plasma_theme_SLEDdefault.data

All that can vary, from one GNU/Linux distribution to another...

Another hypothesis: sparse files, which are supported by star (not by afio), then use mondoarchive -R option to use star instead of afio. If a file is considered as a biggie (big) file, then slicing method is used, and in that case it cannot be restored as a sparse file, the solution is to use mondoarchive -M option to specify what mondoarchive should consider as a big file before splitting it in slices.

The mondoarchive -M "max-size" option sets the max. size of a biggie file (by default 64 MB). The value should be in kB, example use -M 128000 to have biggie being more than 128 MB.

Rgds,
Victor

Re: [Mondo-devel] No space available and devfsd missing

yann49
Thank you quick response.

My kcore file is 140.7 To.

As I understood after browsing about /proc/kcore is a "Like all other
files below /proc the kcore file is only a virtual file. It contains the
RAM the kernel can allocate. Therefore this should not be touched or
read. It is nothing to worry about. This file doesn't use actual disk
space and only exists virtually.".

Does it mean that in fact kcore is not considered as a "real" big file
in the process of the building of the ISO image ?
Does it make sense to exclude it ?
If I exclude /proc does the image I will get with mondoarchive will be
able to reload my system in case of total crash ?

Many thanks
regards

Re: [Mondo-devel] No space available and devfsd missing

Gattegno, Victor (GSD CSC / GCC)-2
Hello,

I personnaly exclude these at mondoarchive:
-E "/var/lib/ntp/proc|/var/lib/named/proc"

I would recommend you to try on your side, and check after the mondorestore and reboot if all is running ok.

Regards,
Victor

Re: [Mondo-devel] No space available and devfsd missing

yann49
Hi Victor,

My kcore is under /proc not big file in /var/lib/ntp/proc and
/var/lib/named/proc

If noboby knows what is the result of excluding kcore I am not prepared
to experiment.

I am far from being a Linux expert. It took me a so much time to build
that conf I don't want to break it .

I am little surprised that nobody knows about the effect of excluding
that monster kcore !

I am going to look for an other solution to make ISO image of my conf.

Thank you for your kind help and reactivity

Best regards

Yann

Re: [Mondo-devel] No space available and devfsd missing

Gattegno, Victor (GSD CSC / GCC)-2
Hi Yann,

/proc is automatically excluded by mondoarchive:
http://trac.mondorescue.org/wiki/StandardsCompliance

I exclude these two directories (/var/lib/ntp/proc and /var/lib/named/proc) because /proc could be mounted on these directories.

kcore info, and relation with /var/lib/ntp/proc:
http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7004153

Rgds, Victor