[Mondo-devel] restore failure...

Gregory Guthrie

I made a Mondo backup set on my Debian system (2.0 GB), using the command:

   mondoarchive  -ONid  "$Dest/$Dir"  -E /backup -p alpha -s4480m

now I need to restore, and so I boot the VM to that .iso file, and it starts, and at that prompt I type “nuke”.

It goes through a boot sequence – reports “mindi” (FYI…), and comes to a prompt.

The online documentation says to type “mondorestore”, the README file says to type “RESTORE”,

Neither works, both say “not found”.

??

The book sequence scrolls pasts too fast to really see much, but it does seem like a sane login prompt and system when done.

I don’t see any /tmp/mondorestore.log file.

Re: [Mondo-devel] restore failure...

Gregory Guthrie

Mondo log attached.

Operant parts:

   “Data archived OK.”

   --------------------------------end of output------------------------------

    ...ran just fine. :-)

mondoarchive.log (438K) Download Attachment

Re: [Mondo-devel] restore failure...

Gregory Guthrie

Still love to hear why this basic usage fails – why are the restore programs not found?

(I sent the log file in earlier message).

Re: [Mondo-devel] restore failure...

Gattegno, Victor (GSD CSC / GCC)-2

Check /var/log/mondorestore.log   (on the machine on which the restore is done)

Maybe the mondorestore command was not found on your backup

  • It could come from the fact that the backup cannot be mounted by mondo, because when mondo can mount the backup successfully, it automatically untar images/all.tar.gz, then mondo can find the files (mondorestore, CDROM-LIVES-HERE, etc.) and mondo should restore well.
  • Check in /var/log/mondorestore.log if you get : "Can't find CD's /mnt/cdrom/images/all.tar.gz", or "Can't open /tmp/CDROM-LIVES-HERE", or "mondorestore: not found" when booting from the backup.

Check the mondo-restore.cfg file of your backup, that file is in tmp directory (which is in the archive: images/all.tar.gz).

Rgds.

Re: [Mondo-devel] restore failure...

Gregory Guthrie

There are no apparent errors in the  mondorestore.log file.

I also have a mondorescue.iso, could I use it to bootstrap to the actual backup with the data?

This is all on a Windows Hyper-V VM, so I mounted the mondoarchive.iso and booted to it.

Once booted, I don’t see it mounted, and it points to the network shares where I originally created the backup.iso file.

I’m not very familiar with the Hypervisor, to see if it still has the (virtual) dvd/cdrom with the backup image mounted, or if in booting to it, it lost that and mounted a failed network share instead (no networking up in the broken VM).

It does show:

  “OK, we’ve found /mnt/cdrom/archives/*; great/”

  Mount result:

  /dev/hdc on /mnt/cdrom tye iso96660 (ro)

But then later in dmesg results:

  ISOFS unable to identify CD-ROM format

  …

  Attempt to access beyond end of device (hdc)

  (bunch of these…)

And  I don’t see it as mounted once the shell starts.

Re: [Mondo-devel] restore failure...

Gregory Guthrie

If from the initial boot to the mondorescue.iso image I do:

         mount /dev/hdc    /mnt/cdrom

Then I do have the .iso image I booted from available (again), and in it is the images/ directory, and in it the all.tar.gz file,

So everything seems to be around, but the mondorescue boot did not mount it properly, seems to instead have remembered the network share were the image was originally created.

So, how to coerce the booted recovery to then … recover itself using that image?

Re: [Mondo-devel] restore failure...

Gattegno, Victor (GSD CSC / GCC)-2

Mondorescue boot uses information from mondo-restore.cfg file of your iso backup file, that file is in tmp directory (which is in all.tar.gz), you can check your mondo-restore.cfg file content by opening your iso backup file with 7-Zip for example (http://www.7-zip.org).

Gregory Guthrie said on Thu, May 05, 2016 at 07:59:24AM -0500:
>Still love to hear why this basic usage fails - why are the restore programs not found?

Maybe because you restore in a different env than the backup and thus you don't have the right drivers for it. Typically the Hyper-V disk/CD drivers to support your emulated HW ?

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net
HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] restore failure...

Gregory Guthrie
It is the same VM that the backup was done from, so I'm not sure of two things - how to avoid it, and how to fix it (recover from this situation).

Originally I did a backup to a mounted network share, that clearly won't exist on the raw new boot for the restore (I'm not even sure if networking is up at that time.) I then copied this .iso image to the VMM, and mounted it as a (virtual) CDROM drive, and booted to it. It boots fine, but then the drive is not mounted anymore in the recovery shell. Seems like this would be the same for any file-path used for making a backup image; that path won't exist till after the restore, so it could not be used for a restore, instead use the files on the backup image.

As indicated in a later note, I can mount the media once booted to the restore; could I somehow adjust the .cfg file(s) at that point to  indicate that on the restore startup boot, and then do a nuke? That is, at the restore boot, do a manual mount of the drive, and then progress with the restore? (Perhaps this in in the instructions somewhere and I have missed it.)

I had assumed that the .iso contained all data (as it does) and would boot and point to itself, no matter how it was created. Instead it appears that it booted from the (virtual) drive, but then it was no longer mounted, and the .cfg files show a file path to the original network share. This surprised me, it should not care what the original file path/name was, it should be referencing the restore image.

I'm not sure how this is different than creating a local .iso file, and then burning it to a CD/DVD, and then trying to recover by booting to that, which is essentially what I did.

Q: Why does the mount of the drive get lost when booting to it for a restore?
(I must be missing something(s) here!)

Thanks for any hints!

> Subject: Re: [Mondo-devel] restore failure...
>
> Gregory Guthrie said on Thu, May 05, 2016 at 07:59:24AM -0500:
> >Still love to hear why this basic usage fails - why are the restore programs not found?
>
> Maybe because you restore in a different env than the backup and thus you don't have the
> right drivers for it. Typically the Hyper-V disk/CD drivers to support your emulated HW ?
>
> Bruno.
> --
> Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net HPE EMEA
> EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
> FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
> Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] restore failure...

Gregory Guthrie
One addition; as previously reported:

    The restore .log file does show:
      "OK, we've found /mnt/cdrom/archives/*; great/"
      Mount result:
      /dev/hdc on /mnt/cdrom type iso96660 (ro)

But then later in dmesg results:
      ISOFS unable to identify CD-ROM format
      Attempt to access beyond end of device (hdc)
      (bunch of these...)

And  I don't see it as mounted once the shell starts.

So I don't understand why/how it did see the mounted recovery image and the files on it (thus did have drivers to access it, and it was working), but then had failures and it was actually not mounted after the startup at the recovery shell, and so the recovery fails.

> Subject: RE: [Mondo-devel] restore failure...
>
> It is the same VM that the backup was done from, so I'm not sure of two things - how to
> avoid it, and how to fix it (recover from this situation).
>
> Originally I did a backup to a mounted network share, that clearly won't exist on the raw new
> boot for the restore (I'm not even sure if networking is up at that time.) I then copied this
> .iso image to the VMM, and mounted it as a (virtual) CDROM drive, and booted to it. It boots
> fine, but then the drive is not mounted anymore in the recovery shell. Seems like this would
> be the same for any file-path used for making a backup image; that path won't exist till
> after the restore, so it could not be used for a restore, instead use the files on the backup
> image.
>
> As indicated in a later note, I can mount the media once booted to the restore; could I
> somehow adjust the .cfg file(s) at that point to  indicate that on the restore startup boot,
> and then do a nuke? That is, at the restore boot, do a manual mount of the drive, and then
> progress with the restore? (Perhaps this in in the instructions somewhere and I have missed
> it.)
>
> I had assumed that the .iso contained all data (as it does) and would boot and point to itself,
> no matter how it was created. Instead it appears that it booted from the (virtual) drive, but
> then it was no longer mounted, and the .cfg files show a file path to the original network
> share. This surprised me, it should not care what the original file path/name was, it should
> be referencing the restore image.
>
> I'm not sure how this is different than creating a local .iso file, and then burning it to a
> CD/DVD, and then trying to recover by booting to that, which is essentially what I did.
>
> Q: Why does the mount of the drive get lost when booting to it for a restore?
> (I must be missing something(s) here!)
>
> Thanks for any hints!

> > Subject: Re: [Mondo-devel] restore failure...
> >
> > Gregory Guthrie said on Thu, May 05, 2016 at 07:59:24AM -0500:
> > >Still love to hear why this basic usage fails - why are the restore programs not found?
> >
> > Maybe because you restore in a different env than the backup and thus
> > you don't have the right drivers for it. Typically the Hyper-V disk/CD drivers to support
> your emulated HW ?
> >
> > Bruno.
> > --
> > Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead
> > http://www.hpintelco.net HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist
> http://hp.com/go/opensource
> > FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
> > Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org
> > http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] restore failure...

Gregory Guthrie
Hmm, I also tried this:

   cd /
   >> find -name "*mondorestore*"
   ./var/log/mondorestore.log
  >> find -name "*restore*"
  ./mnt/csrom/usr/share/mndo/restore-scripts
  ./tmp/mondo-restore.cfg
  ./var/log/mondorestore.log

So, where should the restore/mondorestore programs that are in the instructions come from?

I also searched in the .iso file itself, and don't find either restore program...
??
> [...]
> > > thus you don't have the right drivers for it. Typically the Hyper-V
> > > disk/CD drivers to support
> > your emulated HW ?
> > >
> > > Bruno.
> > > --
> > > Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead
> > > http://www.hpintelco.net HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology
> > > Strategist
> > http://hp.com/go/opensource
> > > FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
> > > Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org
> > > http://www.medieval.org

> > > --
> > > -------- Mobile security can be enabling, not merely restricting.
> > > Employees who bring their own devices (BYOD) to work are irked by
> > > the imposition of MDM restrictions. Mobile Device Manager Plus
> > > allows you to control only the apps on BYO-devices by containerizing

Did you checked mondorestore file in all.tar.gz?