[Mondo-devel] "Best" blocksize for writing backup to LTO tape drive

[Mondo-devel] "Best" blocksize for writing backup to LTO tape drive

David C. Partridge
I'd like guidance from the more experienced on what the best block size to
use is.  I let it default to 32768 and the backup is running quite slowly
(though this is running under valgrind).

I'm using bzip2 (9) on an Atom D525 which might be the cause of the problem.
Should I instead use no software compression and use hardware?

Re: [Mondo-devel] "Best" blocksize for writing backup to LTO tape drive

Bruno Cornec-4
David C. Partridge said on Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 04:03:10PM +0000:
>I'd like guidance from the more experienced on what the best block size to
>use is.  I let it default to 32768 and the backup is running quite slowly
>(though this is running under valgrind).

64kB seems to correspond to most tape drivers. But you should try to align your bs with the one you tape drivers prefers. Of course, using network in the middle may render all that hypothetical :-)

>I'm using bzip2 (9) on an Atom D525 which might be the cause of the problem.
>Should I instead use no software compression and use hardware?

You should probably use gzip instead and reduce the flag to -6 e.g. Should speed up stuff greatly.