[Mondo-devel] mindi v3.0.220160404170005-r3550 ERASE some important binary files!

[Mondo-devel] mindi v3.0.220160404170005-r3550 ERASE some important binary files!

spezialist
Hi all!

If to execute the 'mindi' command from a root (/) of file system, then some important binary files in directories /bin and /sbin will be as a result DELETED. For example, the files mount, consolehelper, reboot, dbus* and others will be deleted that is visible from the attached mindi.log.
As a result, after reboot target OS doesn't boot because of numerous errors of absence of files. For example, to recover operation of CentOS-7.2.1511 I had to reinstall here such rpm:

filesystem-3.2-20.el7.x86_64
systemd-networkd-219-19.el7_2.7.x86_64
dbus-x11-1.6.12-13.el7.x86_64
dbus-glib-0.100-7.el7.x86_64
dbus-1.6.12-13.el7.x86_64
util-linux-2.23.2-26.el7_2.2.x86_64
initscripts-9.49.30-1.el7_2.2.x86_64
systemd-219-19.el7_2.7.x86_64
biosdevname-0.6.2-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
device-mapper-event-1.02.107-5.el7_2.1.x86_64

The similar bug of this mindi version is present also at CentOS-6.7.

If to execute the 'mindi' command not from a root (/) of file system, and, for example from the root home directory (/root) or from other another, then the bug above specified is absent and everything looks normally without errors. The target mindi.iso file is as a result created as it was required.

Someone can confirm this very critical bug?
Thanks for the support.

--
Чорнобиль форева!

-- реклама -----------------------------------------------------------
Управление сайтом на популярных CMS это так просто!
Хостинг http://FREEhost.UA делает всю черновую работу за Вас.

mindi.log.bz2 (73K) Download Attachment

Re: [Mondo-devel] mindi v3.0.220160404170005-r3550 ERASE some important binary files!

Bruno Cornec-4
Hello,

I'm reading mindi's code, and indeed found at least one place where the full path name for a rm command was missing :-(
So I can confirm that this version indeed at least erase the mount command if launched from /

I'm sorry for that. I'm proofreading the total rm commands invoked in mindi to ensure that this was an isolated case, and I've removed all tests versions under the test dir to avoid other people to use that faulty version. I'm working on a fix for mindi today and will publish a new beta (which also has some other bug fixes) ASAP.

However I was working on the fix for md support, and I'm not completely done, so my tree is currently not in a state to be distributable, so expect some delay in the availability of a new beta.

Many thanks for reporting that critical issue, and let me know if there is something I can do to help you meanwhile.

Best regards,
bruno.

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net
HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Bruno Cornec said on Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 11:29:47AM +0200:
>I'm reading mindi's code, and indeed found at least one place where the full path name for a rm command was missing :-(
>So I can confirm that this version indeed at least erase the mount command if launched from /

I have also found the other place where the rm wasn't protected.  Is now fixed in revision 3565.

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net
HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] mindi v3.0.220160404170005-r3550 ERASE some important binary files!

spezialist
Hi Bruno,

Many thanks for confirmation of this very critical bug.

Thanks for the offered help, but it isn't necessary to me yet: I recover now normal operation of the server with CentOS-6.7 after execute mindi from /. But generally, everything is normal as same a beta testing :-).

Answer please, and when support of LVM Thin Provisioning is included in mindi/mondo? As without this support it is impossible to recover normally CentOS-7.x with Thinly-Provisioned Logical Volumes.

Very thanks for the support.

13.04.2016 12:29, Bruno Cornec <[hidden email]>

spezialist said on Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 01:20:09PM +0300:
>Many thanks for confirmation of this very critical bug.

Well, I'd have prefered to not confirm :-(

>Answer please, and when support of LVM Thin Provisioning is included in mindi/mondo? As without this support it is impossible to recover normally CentOS-7.x with Thinly-Provisioned Logical Volumes.

What do you mean by LVM thin provisioning.
I have just fixed the issues on dm support restoration which was also broken. I'm making a test on this this afternoon.

Last problems to fix on my side before releasing 3.2.2 are now SLES 11 SP4 deps (http://trac.mondorescue.org/ticket/791) and problem when trying to recreate partitions on MBR, when the disj was originally GPT (http://trac.mondorescue.org/ticket/790)

Hopefully most of it will be done today, with a beta just after for you to test again.

>Very thanks for the support.

Well, sorry for the annoyance, and thanks for testing, as without your report, that aspect would have been broken in 3.2.2 !

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net
HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] mindi v3.0.220160404170005-r3550 ERASE some important binary files!

spezialist
Bruno,

About LVM Thin Provisioning it is possible to read, for example here: http://www.tecmint.com/setup-thin-provisioning-volumes-in-lvm/ . And this technology very much is pleasant to me, it the useful and convenient.

But when in the recovery console of mindi (in the 'expert' mode) I want to execute the creating a thin pool command, for example:

'lvm lvcreate - l 100%FREE - r auto - thinpool pool00 centos'

that I receive an error, that support of LVM Thin Provisioning isn't included in a kernel.

Very thanks for the support.

13.04.2016 14:03, Bruno Cornec <[hidden email]>

>spezialist said on Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 01:20:09PM +0300:
> >Many thanks for confirmation of this very critical bug.
>
> Well, I'd have prefered to not confirm :-(
>
> >Answer please, and when support of LVM Thin Provisioning is included in mindi/mondo? As without this support it is impossible to recover normally CentOS-7.x with Thinly-Provisioned Logical Volumes.
>
> What do you mean by LVM thin provisioning.
> I have just fixed the issues on dm support restoration which was also broken. I'm making a test on this this afternoon.
>
> Last problems to fix on my side before releasing 3.2.2 are now SLES 11 SP4 deps (http://trac.mondorescue.org/ticket/791) and problem when trying to recreate partitions on MBR, when the disj was originally GPT (http://trac.mondorescue.org/ticket/790)
>
> Hopefully most of it will be done today, with a beta just after for you to test again.
>
> >Very thanks for the support.
>
> Well, sorry for the annoyance, and thanks for testing, as without your report, that aspect would have been broken in 3.2.2 !
>
> Bruno.
> --
> Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net
> HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
> FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
> Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Чорнобиль форева!

-- реклама -----------------------------------------------------------
Управление сайтом на популярных CMS это так просто!
Хостинг http://FREEhost.UA делает всю черновую работу за Вас.

Re: [Mondo-devel] mindi v3.0.220160404170005-r3550 ERASE some important binary files!

spezialist
Hi all!

Small addition to correspondence on the specified mindi critical bug.

To recover normal operation of the server on the basis of CentOS-6.7 I needed to reinstall the following rpm:

coreutils-8.4-37.el6_7.3.x86_64
filesystem-2.4.30-3.el6.x86_64
dbus-glib-0.86-6.el6.x86_64
dbus-1.2.24-8.el6_6.x86_64
util-linux-ng-2.17.2-12.18.el6.x86_64
initscripts-9.03.49-1.el6.centos.4.x86_64
upstart-0.6.5-13.el6_5.3.x86_64
device-mapper-1.02.95-4.el6_7.3.x86_64
device-mapper-event-1.02.95-4.el6_7.3.x86_64
device-mapper-event-libs-1.02.95-4.el6_7.3.x86_64
udev-147-2.63_7.1.el6.x86_64
usermode-1.102-3.el6.x86_64

spezialist said on Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 10:04:11PM +0300:
>To recover normal operation of the server on the basis of CentOS-6.7 I needed to reinstall the following rpm:

Please also use rpm -Va to check differencies between what is installed and what should be.

I have published a new beta version which fixes this problem.

Best regards,
Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net
HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] mindi v3.0.220160404170005-r3550 ERASE some important binary files!

Hello,

Thanks for pointing me to this. I think that we currently miss the dm-thin-pool driver in mindi to support that. Try adding it to your /etc/mindi/mindi.conf in the FORCE_MODS env var and check whether it fixes your issue. I have added it meanwhile in the SVN tree.

spezialist said on Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 02:42:29PM +0300:

>Bruno,
>
>About LVM Thin Provisioning it is possible to read, for example here: http://www.tecmint.com/setup-thin-provisioning-volumes-in-lvm/ . And this technology very much is pleasant to me, it the useful and convenient.
>
>But when in the recovery console of mindi (in the 'expert' mode) I want to execute the creating a thin pool command, for example:
>
>'lvm lvcreate - l 100%FREE - r auto - thinpool pool00 centos'
>
>that I receive an error, that support of LVM Thin Provisioning isn't included in a kernel.
>
>Very thanks for the support.
>
>13.04.2016 14:03, Bruno Cornec <[hidden email]>
>>spezialist said on Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 01:20:09PM +0300:
>> >Many thanks for confirmation of this very critical bug.
>>
>> Well, I'd have prefered to not confirm :-(
>>
>> >Answer please, and when support of LVM Thin Provisioning is included in mindi/mondo? As without this support it is impossible to recover normally CentOS-7.x with Thinly-Provisioned Logical Volumes.
>>
>> What do you mean by LVM thin provisioning.
>> I have just fixed the issues on dm support restoration which was also broken. I'm making a test on this this afternoon.
>>
>> Last problems to fix on my side before releasing 3.2.2 are now SLES 11 SP4 deps (http://trac.mondorescue.org/ticket/791) and problem when trying to recreate partitions on MBR, when the disj was originally GPT (http://trac.mondorescue.org/ticket/790)
>>
>> Hopefully most of it will be done today, with a beta just after for you to test again.
>>
>> >Very thanks for the support.
>>
>> Well, sorry for the annoyance, and thanks for testing, as without your report, that aspect would have been broken in 3.2.2 !
>>
>> Bruno.
>> --
>> Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net
>> HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
>> FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
>> Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

>--
>Чорнобиль форева!
>
>-- реклама -----------------------------------------------------------
>Управление сайтом на популярных CMS это так просто!
>Хостинг http://FREEhost.UA делает всю черновую работу за Вас.

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net
HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] mindi v3.0.220160404170005-r3550 ERASE some important binary files!

spezialist
Hello,

Thanks for the hint. I managed to execute thus successful restoration of the server with CentOS-7.x with Thinly-Provisioned Logical Volumes OS.
For this purpose it is necessary to add an option to file /etc/mindi/mindi.conf:

FORCE_MODS="dm-thin-pool"

And it is mandatory to add missing files to file /etc/mindi/deplist.d/lvm.conf:

/usr/sbin/cache_check
/usr/sbin/cache_dump
/usr/sbin/cache_metadata_size
/usr/sbin/cache_repair
/usr/sbin/cache_restore
/usr/sbin/era_check
/usr/sbin/era_dump
/usr/sbin/era_invalidate
/usr/sbin/era_restore
/usr/sbin/pdata_tools
/usr/sbin/thin_check
/usr/sbin/thin_delta
/usr/sbin/thin_dump
/usr/sbin/thin_metadata_size
/usr/sbin/thin_repair
/usr/sbin/thin_restore
/usr/sbin/thin_rmap
/usr/sbin/thin_trim

/usr/lib64/device-mapper
/usr/lib64/device-mapper/libdevmapper-event-lvm2mirror.so
/usr/lib64/device-mapper/libdevmapper-event-lvm2raid.so
/usr/lib64/device-mapper/libdevmapper-event-lvm2snapshot.so
/usr/lib64/device-mapper/libdevmapper-event-lvm2thin.so
/usr/lib64/libdevmapper-event-lvm2.so.2.02
/usr/lib64/libdevmapper-event-lvm2mirror.so -> device-mapper/libdevmapper-event-lvm2mirror.so
/usr/lib64/libdevmapper-event-lvm2raid.so -> device-mapper/libdevmapper-event-lvm2raid.so
/usr/lib64/libdevmapper-event-lvm2snapshot.so -> device-mapper/libdevmapper-event-lvm2snapshot.so
/usr/lib64/libdevmapper-event-lvm2thin.so -> device-mapper/libdevmapper-event-lvm2thin.so
/usr/lib64/liblvm2app.so.2.2
/usr/lib64/liblvm2cmd.so.2.02

I very much hope that in future mindi and mondo versions support of Thinly-Provisioned Logical Volumes will be included by default.

Very thanks for the support.

--
Чорнобиль форева!

-- реклама -----------------------------------------------------------
Поторопись зарегистрировать самый короткий почтовый адрес @i.ua
http://mail.i.ua/reg - и получи 1Gb для хранения писем

spezialist said on Wed, May 04, 2016 at 04:03:19PM +0300:
>Thanks for the hint. I managed to execute thus successful restoration of the server with CentOS-7.x with Thinly-Provisioned Logical Volumes OS.

Great !

>For this purpose it is necessary to add an option to file /etc/mindi/mindi.conf:
>FORCE_MODS="dm-thin-pool"

THat was already in mindi since your last feedback

>And it is mandatory to add missing files to file /etc/mindi/deplist.d/lvm.conf:
>/usr/sbin/cache_check
[...]
>/usr/sbin/thin_trim

Now added in rev 3579. Will be in next version.

>/usr/lib64/device-mapper
>/usr/lib64/libdevmapper-event-lvm2.so.2.02
>/usr/lib64/liblvm2app.so.2.2
>/usr/lib64/liblvm2cmd.so.2.02

Hopefully these will be computed automatically as dependencies.
Let me know if that's not the case.

>I very much hope that in future mindi and mondo versions support of Thinly-Provisioned Logical Volumes will be included by default.

Thanks to your feedback, yes !

Best regards,