[Mondo-devel] mindi 3.0.2-r3578 + PXE boot VMware VM with vmxnet3 NIC: cannot initialize NIC?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Mondo-devel] mindi 3.0.2-r3578 + PXE boot VMware VM with vmxnet3 NIC: cannot initialize NIC?

spezialist
Hi all!

Problem essence: the virtual machine VMware with CentOS 7.2 and with NIC vmxnet3 works normally and is executed BMR through Mondo 3.2.2-r3578 + mindi 3.0.2-r3578. At the same time support of the vmxnet3 driver is by default enabled on in a kernel of this operating system.

Besides, for creation of mindi.iso the kernel 'vmlinuz' of this operating system is used, and at 'initrd.img' there is a vmxnet3.ko module is present.

In attempt to execute PXE boot of the virtual machine in the console the message of 'Probing: vmxnet3' is visible, but it doesn't the positive result and network interfaces aren't found. The 'ifconfig' command displays only loopback interface and all. Tried to add in mindi.conf loading of the vmxnet3 module, but it doesn't result in success.

If NIC in configuration of virtual machine changed from vmxnet3 to e1000, for example, all works fine and NIC success initialize through PXE boot.

In what there can be a problem?

Very thanks for the support.

--
Чорнобиль форева!

-- реклама -----------------------------------------------------------
Поторопись зарегистрировать самый короткий почтовый адрес @i.ua
http://mail.i.ua/reg - и получи 1Gb для хранения писем

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mondo-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mondo-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mondo-devel] mindi 3.0.2-r3578 + PXE boot VMware VM with vmxnet3 NIC: cannot initialize NIC?

Bruno Cornec-4
spezialist said on Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 04:13:30PM +0300:
>In attempt to execute PXE boot of the virtual machine in the console the message of 'Probing: vmxnet3' is visible, but it doesn't the positive result and network interfaces aren't found. The 'ifconfig' command displays only loopback interface and all. Tried to add in mindi.conf loading of the vmxnet3 module, but it doesn't result in success.

What gives a modprobe vmxnet3 ?

>If NIC in configuration of virtual machine changed from vmxnet3 to e1000, for example, all works fine and NIC success initialize through PXE boot.

Ok. So your driver has an issue loading.

>In what there can be a problem?

I don't know, and you don't provide logs, so it's much more difficult to guess whatis happening :-(

Bruno.
--
Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead     http://www.hpintelco.net
HPE EMEA EG FLOSS Technology Strategist http://www.hpe.com/engage/opensource
FLOSS projects:    http://mondorescue.org         http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne?   http://www.musique-ancienne.org  http://www.medieval.org

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mondo-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mondo-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mondo-devel] mindi 3.0.2-r3578 + PXE boot VMware VM with vmxnet3 NIC: cannot initialize NIC?

spezialist
Hi Bruno!

I understood what there was a problem. My VMware VM has three LAN adapters. In BIOS "Boot Menu" they are listed in such order:

1. Intel E1000 - 1Gbps
2. VMware VMXNET3 - 10Gbps
3. VMware VMXNET3 #2 - 10Gbps

PXE booting and dhcp is executed by means of the LAN adapter VMware VMXNET3 #2. At the same time I assumed that during mondorestore over pxe they will also be named sequentially, i.e.:

1. Intel E1000 - eth0
2. VMware VMXNET3 - eth1
3. VMware VMXNET3 #2 - eth2

Therefore in file /var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default on the my tftp-server I specified "ipconf=eth2:dhcp". But it turns out that during mondorestore over pxe the LAN adapter VMware VMXNET3 #2 is renamed from eth1 into eth4 (see my logfile) and for it the IP addresses tuning on dhcp isn't performed. Respectively the network is unavailable as the LAN adapter isn't configured.

Only after made changes in /var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default to "ipconf=eth4:dhcp" (see my logfile), the LAN adapter VMware VMXNET3 #2 was normally configured and received the IP address.

Therefore, I see in it a big shortcoming as configuring of PXE booting for execution of mondorestore over pxe is very unclear and ambiguous.

Very thanks for the support.

27.09.2016 14:31, Bruno Cornec <[hidden email]>

>spezialist said on Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 04:13:30PM +0300:
> >In attempt to execute PXE boot of the virtual machine in the console the message of 'Probing: vmxnet3' is visible, but it doesn't the positive result and network interfaces aren't found. The 'ifconfig' command displays only loopback interface and all. Tried to add in mindi.conf loading of the vmxnet3 module, but it doesn't result in success.
>
> What gives a modprobe vmxnet3 ?
>
> >If NIC in configuration of virtual machine changed from vmxnet3 to e1000, for example, all works fine and NIC success initialize through PXE boot.
>
> Ok. So your driver has an issue loading.
>
> >In what there can be a problem?
>
> I don't know, and you don't provide logs, so it's much more difficult to guess whatis happening :-(
>
> Bruno.
> --
> Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead     http://www.hpintelco.net
> HPE EMEA EG FLOSS Technology Strategist http://www.hpe.com/engage/opensource
> FLOSS projects:    http://mondorescue.org         http://project-builder.org
> Musique ancienne?   http://www.musique-ancienne.org  http://www.medieval.org
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Mondo-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mondo-devel
--
Чорнобиль форева!

-- реклама -----------------------------------------------------------
Тільки до 20.10.16 при купівлі 2к квартири - гардеробна
кімната у ПОДАРУНОК http://goo.gl/RHC41L
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Mondo-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mondo-devel

mindi_rename_PXE_NICs.tar (104K) Download Attachment