Quantcast

[Mondo-devel] i-want-my-lvm question

Hugo Vanwoerkom
Hi,

A recent post on i-want-my-lvm makes me realize that perhaps I don't
understand its purpose:

Is its function to re-initialize LVM or to create it new from scratch?

I am afraid to use it for fear of losing the data that I have on lvm.
But reading the man page on pvcreate:

"-f, --force
               Force  the  creation  without  any  confirmation.   You
can not recreate (reinitialize) a physical volume
               belonging to an existing volume group.  In an emergency
you can override this behaviour with -ff."

makes me think that perhaps I don't understand it.

Thanks

Hugo

Re: [Mondo-devel] i-want-my-lvm question

Bruno Cornec-2
Hugo Vanwoerkom said on Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:53:42AM -0500:

> Is its function to re-initialize LVM or to create it new from scratch?

It re-creates everything from scratch, but only on the devices you want
to use (except in case of bug :-()

> I am afraid to use it for fear of losing the data that I have on lvm.
> But reading the man page on pvcreate:

In order to avoid problems, before restoring check that what is in it
corresponds to what you expect.

Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com
HP/Intel/Red Hat Open Source Solutions Initiative  / http://www.hpintelco.net
http://www.HyPer-Linux.org  http://mondorescue.org http://project-builder.org