[Mondo-devel] cmp tool

Adrian Marsh

Hi All,

Am installing mondo onto a Ubuntu 9.10 system.  We’ve found one oddity, that we can only trace back to when mondo/mindi ran the first time.

It appears as though /usr/bin/cmp got “replaced”.  The timestamp of that file got changed to 10:03 am.  And I’d been running mondo/mindi testing since 10:01, with a few failed attempts (PATH too long error, GRUB mis-configs).

Obviously it seems odd for mondo/mindi to alter the host filesystems in this way – so am emailing the list to check if this is by design, or, seen elsewhere?

The problem is, that the compiling system that this server exists to do, makes use of cmp, and therefore falls over using this new unknown version.

We’ve replaced the original cmp, and will monitor it on the next mondo run.

Thanks,

Adrian

Re: [Mondo-devel] cmp tool

Bruno Cornec-2
Adrian Marsh said on Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 02:09:39PM +0100:

> Obviously it seems odd for mondo/mindi to alter the host filesystems in
> this way - so am emailing the list to check if this is by design, or,
> seen elsewhere?

Looking at the code I found that if /usr/bin/cmp doesn't exist
mondorarchive copies /bin/true in it.

Of course I just removed that and it will be fixed for 2.2.9.4.

Now on your side I guess your normal cmp binay is elsewhere no ?
As it only does that if the binary doesn't exist.

> We've replaced the original cmp, and will monitor it on the next mondo
> run.

Also please provide the log if that happens agina so that I can see what
happened.

Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com
HP/Intel/Red Hat Open Source Solutions Initiative  / http://www.hpintelco.net
http://www.HyPer-Linux.org  http://mondorescue.org http://project-builder.org