Quantcast

[Mondo-devel] VolGroup-lv_home

Steven Morton

Hi

Can anybody help me, I have created a backup of my Centos 6.4 which goes OK but when I try to restore using ‘Automatically’ it starts to format the drives but stops with error “Could not mount device(s) /dev/VolGroup/lv_home – shall I abort”.

Am I doing something wrong during Backup (I use this command to Backup with ‘mondoarchive -Oi -d /media/Vol2 -E ’/media’ -p `hostname`-`date +%Y-%m-%d`  or can someone point me in the right direction.

Sorry I am unable to attach the logs as I cant get them off the machine due to no network.

Thank you

Steven

Re: [Mondo-devel] VolGroup-lv_home

Nikolaos Milas
On 1/5/2013 12:17 μμ, Steven Morton wrote:

> Can anybody help me, I have created a backup of my Centos 6.4 which
> goes OK but when I try to restore using ‘Automatically’ it starts to
> format the drives but stops with error “Could not mount device(s)
> /dev/VolGroup/lv_home – shall I abort”.

Are you restoring to the same box or are you cloning?

In any case, you could try the Interactive option and accept all default
replies on questions.

I had such an issue once, on CentOS 6. See:

Nick

Re: [Mondo-devel] VolGroup-lv_home

LR_RED
I am suffering the same issue.

Re: [Mondo-devel] VolGroup-lv_home

Baietto, Jason
Hi All,

I had a very similar issue with LVM restoration recently, and in my case
it turned out that /home failed to mount because the sizes of the LVM
partitions that were recorded during creation of the restore DVDs were
slightly too big to be recreated successfully during the restoration.

This makes absolutely no sense to me, but it happened on about a third
of the systems I was restoring (all with >250GB hard drives).  To work
around this I applied the attached patch, after which I have not seen
the failure again.  No idea if this will work for the particular problem
you are seeing, but it might be worth a try.

Take care,
Jason

analyze-my-lvm.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [Mondo-devel] VolGroup-lv_home

LR_RED
Hi Jason -

Can I kindly ask how to run the patch file?

George.

Re: [Mondo-devel] VolGroup-lv_home

Baietto, Jason
Hi George,

You first need to download the mindi-2.1.5 source tarball, expand it,
and then patch it like this:

   cd mindi-2.1.5/
   patch < analyze-my-lvm.patch

But I think the issue is that the patch that I attached previously
somehow got corrupted :-/  I've attached another hopefully good copy.
If this one still doesn't work, just change these lines manually:

-       $LVMCMD lvdisplay $device | cat > $fname
+       $LVMCMD lvdisplay --unit m $device | cat > $fname

and:

-       [ ! "`echo "$allocation" | grep "[k,m,g,t]"`" ] && allocation="$allocation"m
-       if echo "$allocation" | grep -E '^.*g$' > /dev/null 2> /dev/null ; then
-               val=`echo "$allocation" | sed s/g//`
-               allocation=`echo "$val" | awk '{c=$1; printf "%d", c*1024;}'`m
-       fi
+       val=`echo "$allocation" | sed 's/m.*//i'`
+       allocation=`echo "$val" | awk '{c=$1; printf "%d", c-8;}'`m

Take care,
Jason

On Fri, 2013-08-02 at 10:25 -0400, LR_RED wrote:

> Hi Jason -
>
> Can I kindly ask how to run the patch file?
>
> George.

analyze-my-lvm.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [Mondo-devel] VolGroup-lv_home

Gattegno, Victor (GSD CSC / GCC)
Hi,

You don't need the source, if mindi is already installed it's ok.

I did the following to check Jason patch, on my 64bits server (otherwise analyze-my-lvm is in /usr/lib/mindi).

# cd /usr/lib64/mindi
# cp analyze-my-lvm analyze-my-lvm.orig

# pwd
/usr/lib64/mindi

# patch < analyze-my-lvm.patch

# sh -x /usr/lib64/mindi/analyze-my-lvm 2>/tmp/i-want-my-lvm.err >/tmp/i-want-my-lvm

# sh -x /usr/lib64/mindi/analyze-my-lvm.orig 2>/tmp/i-want-my-lvm.orig.err >/tmp/i-want-my-lvm.orig

The results can be compared in the tmp files.

For me :

# cd /tmp ; diff i-want-my-lvm i-want-my-lvm.orig
27,28c27,28
< # lvm lvcreate -L 28492m -r auto -n LVDD1 VGDD1
< # lvm lvcreate -L 29992m -r auto -n LVDD2 VGDD2
---
> # lvm lvcreate -L 28497m -r auto -n LVDD1 VGDD1
> # lvm lvcreate -L 30003m -r auto -n LVDD2 VGDD2

It seems better with Jason patch, if I compare the result to my LV :

# lvs --units m
  LV    VG    Attr   LSize     Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
  LVDD1 VGDD1 -wi-ao 28500.00M
  LVDD2 VGDD2 -wi-ao 30000.00M

Rgds,
Victor