Quantcast

[Mondo-devel] Restore a HP G9 server with UEFI and redHat 6.6

[Mondo-devel] Restore a HP G9 server with UEFI and redHat 6.6

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR)

Hello,

I try to backup/restore a HP G9 server with UEFI and redHat 6.6.
After restore, it is impossible to mount “/” partition, it seems we have bad UUID for both “/” ( dev/sda8) et /boot/EFI ( dev/sda2) partitions.

We can’t access log files because we can’t mount “/” partition so we don’t access /var/log/mondoarchive.log.

Can you help to investigate?
Regards,

Mathieu PICHON

Re: [Mondo-devel] Restore a HP G9 server with UEFI and redHat 6.6

Bruno Cornec-4
Bonjour Mathieu,

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR) said on Fri, May 13, 2016 at 12:35:04PM +0000:
>I try to backup/restore a HP G9 server with UEFI and redHat 6.6.
>After restore, it is impossible to mount "/" partition, it seems we have bad UUID for both "/" ( dev/sda8) et /boot/EFI ( dev/sda2) partitions.

Which version ar you using ? Please provide the logs so we can help. Already the archive logs.
Cf: http://www.mondorescue.org/support.shtml

>We can't access log files because we can't mount "/" partition so we don't access /var/log/mondoarchive.log.

Before rebooting after restore you should be able to save the log file to a USB key or via network.

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net
HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] Restore a HP G9 server with UEFI and redHat 6.6

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR)

Bonjour Bruno,

We are using:

rpm -qa | grep mondo

mondo-3.2.2-1.rhel6.x86_64

mondoarchive -v

mondoarchive v3.2.2-r3578

Please find attached log files taken before final reboot.

Only modofdisk.log and mondorestore.log are present in /var/log. No mondoarchive.log is present.

Find also attached a screenshot with the error message after reboot.

Regards,

Mathieu

Bonjour Mathieu,

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR) said on Fri, May 13, 2016 at 12:35:04PM +0000:

>I try to backup/restore a HP G9 server with UEFI and redHat 6.6.

>After restore, it is impossible to mount "/" partition, it seems we have bad UUID for both "/" ( dev/sda8) et /boot/EFI ( dev/sda2) partitions.

Which version ar you using ? Please provide the logs so we can help. Already the archive logs.

Cf: http://www.mondorescue.org/support.shtml

>We can't access log files because we can't mount "/" partition so we don't access /var/log/mondoarchive.log.

Before rebooting after restore you should be able to save the log file to a USB key or via network.

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net

HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource

FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org

Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

mondofdisk.log (432 bytes) Download Attachment
mondorestore.log (588K) Download Attachment
After_reboot.png (109K) Download Attachment

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR) said on Fri, May 20, 2016 at 02:18:46PM +0000:
>mondo-3.2.2-1.rhel6.x86_64

Great.

>Only modofdisk.log and mondorestore.log are present in /var/log. No mondoarchive.log is present.

That file is on the master where you create the image. In order to fully understand what happens in your case, I'd really need it. Feel free to send it privately if confidential.

>Find also attached a screenshot with the error message after reboot.

Ok. So with what I have I think there are the following issues:

You seem to be using SELinux. Have you used the -z option at backup time ?
You don't have the required commands installed on your system to support extended attributes, which are mandatory for SELinux restore:
DBG4: [Main] libmondo-files.c->find_home_of_exe#363: find_home_of_exe --- Could not find setfattr

The backup was also unable to keep the strict.pm perl file from your system, which is a bug :-( Now without the archive log, I can't really know why. (and it's working on my test RHEL6 system of course !)

Best regards,
Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net
HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] Restore a HP G9 server with UEFI and redHat 6.6

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR)

Hello Bruno,

Please find attached new logs performed using “–z” option during backup.

I still have error message about UUID after reboot.

Regards,

Mathieu

Please find attached the mondoarchive.log. I hope it will help.
Today I will also perform a new backup adding “-z” option.

Regards,
Mathieu

Bonjour Mathieu,

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR) said on Fri, May 20, 2016 at 02:18:46PM +0000:
>mondo-3.2.2-1.rhel6.x86_64

Great.

mondo_logs.tar.gz (183K) Download Attachment

Re: [Mondo-devel] Restore a HP G9 server with UEFI and redHat 6.6

Bruno Cornec-4
Hello Mathieu,

Thanks for the log.
If you use option -z (which you may require e.g. for SELinux support), you need to install the attr package which gives you setfattr and getfattr commands which are currently missing on your system

Also, you're missing a perl dependency module: perl-Module-Build which you should get from EPEL.

These are the reasons why your backup deosn't restore correctly.
Bruno.

--
Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net
HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] Restore a HP G9 server with UEFI and redHat 6.6

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR)
Hello Bruno,

I've installed the following packages:
 - attr.x86_64 0:2.4.44-7.el6 (which need device-mapper-persistent-data for lvm2-2.02.111-2.el6_6.6.x86_6)
 - device-mapper-persistent-data
 - perl-Module-Build
 - perl-Archive-Tar for dependencies
 - perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder for dependencies
 - perl-IO-Zlib for dependencies
 - perl-Package-Constants for dependencies

I've performed a new backup after installing these packages.
Restore failed earlier during partitioning.

Please find attached new logs.

I think Mondo tries to use fdisk to format hard drive. But UEFI needs GPT partition which is not supported by fdsik.

Mathieu

If you use option -z (which you may require e.g. for SELinux support), you need to install the attr package which gives you setfattr and getfattr commands which are currently missing on your system

Also, you're missing a perl dependency module: perl-Module-Build which you should get from EPEL.

These are the reasons why your backup deosn't restore correctly.
Bruno.

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR) said on Mon, May 23, 2016 at 02:25:08PM +0000:
>Please find attached new logs performed using "-z" option during backup.
--
Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Mobile security can be enabling, not merely restricting. Employees who bring their own devices (BYOD) to work are irked by the imposition of MDM restrictions. Mobile Device Manager Plus allows you to control only the apps on BYO-devices by containerizing them, leaving personal data untouched!

mondo_logs.tar.gz (202K) Download Attachment

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR) said on Tue, May 24, 2016 at 12:45:27PM +0000:
>I've installed the following packages:
> - attr.x86_64 0:2.4.44-7.el6 (which need device-mapper-persistent-data for lvm2-2.02.111-2.el6_6.6.x86_6)
> - perl-Module-Build

With these 2 there are no more errors in your log files, which was expected.

>I've performed a new backup after installing these packages.
>Restore failed earlier during partitioning.

Yes, and the good news is I know why !

>I think Mondo tries to use fdisk to format hard drive. But UEFI needs GPT partition which is not supported by fdsik.

That's linked but not the reason. MondoRescue doesn't use fdisk directly
but a wrapper on top of it, which knows (normally) when to call fdisk
directly or parted if that version of fdisk deosn't support GPT.
Typically RHEL6 fdisk doesn't while RHEL7 fdisk does).

You're a victim of this issue:
http://trac.mondorescue.org/ticket/790

Your target disk is MBR formated and mondorestore doesn't force in 3.2.2
it to GPT (because you could want to change your mind).

Bt in your case, it's really a bug as there is no choice, your target should
be GPT as you had more than 4 primary partitions. So mondorestore should do
it for you automatically, which it doesn't in this version. Target for 3.2.3.

Workaround in the ticket should work for you. Before pressing the Interactive
button, change terminal (ALT-F2 e.g.) and run the parted command to force your
target drive to be GPT.

HTH, and let us know if that works.
Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net
HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] Restore a HP G9 server with UEFI and redHat 6.6

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR)
Bonjour Bruno,

Unfortunately it does not work.

I've have the attached warning message when I entered the parted command.
If I do nothing : partitioning is failed
If I enter "yes" It fulfill the screen with "y" indefinitely and partitioning is still failed.
If I enter several times the parted command, warning message is not always printed, but partitioning always failed.

parted.png (52K) Download Attachment

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR) said on Wed, May 25, 2016 at 08:54:34AM +0000:
>Unfortunately it does not work.
>
>I've have the attached warning message when I entered the parted command.
>If I do nothing : partitioning is failed
>If I enter "yes" It fulfill the screen with "y" indefinitely and partitioning is still failed.
>If I enter several times the parted command, warning message is not always printed, but partitioning always failed.

I've not had that error message up to now.
So in order to unblock the situation, could you erase the start of you disk with:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1000
then reissue the parted command and see if this time it's accepted.

Sorry for that
Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net
HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] Restore a HP G9 server with UEFI and redHat 6.6

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR)
Still failed

But warning message is not printed.

Mathieu

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR) said on Wed, May 25, 2016 at 11:24:07AM +0000:

>>Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR) said on Wed, May 25, 2016 at 08:54:34AM +0000:
>>>Unfortunately it does not work.
>>>
>>>I've have the attached warning message when I entered the parted command.
>>>If I do nothing : partitioning is failed If I enter "yes" It fulfill
>>>the screen with "y" indefinitely and partitioning is still failed.
>>>If I enter several times the parted command, warning message is not always printed, but partitioning always failed.
>>I've not had that error message up to now.
>>So in order to unblock the situation, could you erase the start of you disk with:
>>
>>dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1000 then reissue the parted command and see if this time it's accepted.
>Still failed
>But warning message is not printed.

Hummm, I'm not sure I get it.
So if you dd and then aprted doesn't issue an error then it worked. You now have a GPT partitioned disk right ?
Can you check that already.

Now if mondorestore fails, it could be unrelated, and you'd again need to provide the new log file, as it may be something else (at least that's what I'm guessing).

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net
HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] Restore a HP G9 server with UEFI and redHat 6.6

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR)
Bonjour Bruno,

Yes have a GPT partitioned disk (see screenshot in attachment)
I've also put the logs from yesterday's restore in the attachment.

mondo_logs.tar.gz (159K) Download Attachment

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR) said on Thu, May 26, 2016 at 02:49:35PM +0000:
>Yes have a GPT partitioned disk (see screenshot in attachment)
>I've also put the logs from yesterday's restore in the attachment.

I really have something I don't unerstand in your setup.
If you dd the first 1 GB of the disk and put a GPT format on it, how is it
possible that the fdisk command gives a result on it with partitions ?

Especially, in your restore log, I see that:
INFO: Found Device /dev/sda has a MBR partition type partition table format type on /dev/sda

So you did not create the GPT *before* launching mondorestore right ?
Steps should be:

1/ boot the media
2/ go to a shell (ALT-F2) and create the GPT (dd + parted)

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net
HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] Restore a HP G9 server with UEFI and redHat 6.6

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR)
Hi Bruno,

That's what I do.
Please find attached new screenshots.

1st: GRUB (not possible to switch to a shell) (GRUB.png)
2nd: As soon as possible switch to shell (dd_parted.png)
3rd: I need to switch to Interactive mode to manually recreate /dev/sda3. If I run Automatic mode I will loose this partition right? (Interactive_Mode.png)

Then partitioning failed.
Regards,
Mathieu

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR) said on Thu, May 26, 2016 at 02:49:35PM +0000:
>Yes have a GPT partitioned disk (see screenshot in attachment) I've
>also put the logs from yesterday's restore in the attachment.

I really have something I don't unerstand in your setup.
If you dd the first 1 GB of the disk and put a GPT format on it, how is it possible that the fdisk command gives a result on it with partitions ?

Especially, in your restore log, I see that:
INFO: Found Device /dev/sda has a MBR partition type partition table format type on /dev/sda

So you did not create the GPT *before* launching mondorestore right ?
Steps should be:

1/ boot the media
2/ go to a shell (ALT-F2) and create the GPT (dd + parted) 3/ go back to media (ALT-F1) and launch the resotre process in automatic mode.

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Mobile security can be enabling, not merely restricting. Employees who bring their own devices (BYOD) to work are irked by the imposition of MDM restrictions. Mobile Device Manager Plus allows you to control only the apps on BYO-devices by containerizing them, leaving personal data untouched!

dd_parted.png (56K) Download Attachment
GRUB.png (39K) Download Attachment
Interactive_Mode.png (57K) Download Attachment

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR) said on Fri, May 27, 2016 at 08:33:04AM +0000:
>1st: GRUB (not possible to switch to a shell) (GRUB.png)

Normal, init has not yet started, nor reached the point where shell are launched on VTs.

>2nd: As soon as possible switch to shell (dd_parted.png)

Ok. So seems your command work as expected here.
So if you check with fdisk -l /dev/sda after that step, it should tell you you have a GPT formated HDD.
At least that part should now be ok.

>3rd: I need to switch to Interactive mode to manually recreate /dev/sda3. If I run Automatic mode I will loose this partition right? (Interactive_Mode.png)

Yes, but you won't loose it, as it wasn't part of the original system.
So is your point the fact that the automatic process stops because of the gap detection, and that you'd like the process to continue anyway ?

>Then partitioning failed.

It fails with the sda3 created ? without ?

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net
HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] Restore a HP G9 server with UEFI and redHat 6.6

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR)
Hello Bruno,

Please find in attachment the screenshot with the result for the command "fdisk -l /dev/sda"
I have a Warning indicating I'm in GTP.

Yes I don't want to losse /dev/sda3. So I create it using interactive mode.
Partitioning failed with /dev/sda3.

Regards,
Mathieu

Pichon, Mathieu (Nokia - FR) said on Fri, May 27, 2016 at 08:33:04AM +0000:
>1st: GRUB (not possible to switch to a shell) (GRUB.png)

Normal, init has not yet started, nor reached the point where shell are launched on VTs.

>2nd: As soon as possible switch to shell (dd_parted.png)

Ok. So seems your command work as expected here.
So if you check with fdisk -l /dev/sda after that step, it should tell you you have a GPT formated HDD.
At least that part should now be ok.

>3rd: I need to switch to Interactive mode to manually recreate
>/dev/sda3. If I run Automatic mode I will loose this partition right?
>(Interactive_Mode.png)

Yes, but you won't loose it, as it wasn't part of the original system.
So is your point the fact that the automatic process stops because of the gap detection, and that you'd like the process to continue anyway ?

>Then partitioning failed.

It fails with the sda3 created ? without ?

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead  http://www.hpintelco.net HPE EMEA EG Open Source Technology Strategist http://hp.com/go/opensource
FLOSS projects:     http://mondorescue.org     http://project-builder.org
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and traffic patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols are consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow, J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity planning reports. https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/305295220;132659582;e

GPT_part.png (95K) Download Attachment