Quantcast

[Mondo-devel] [Questions on Mondo Rescue features]

[Mondo-devel] [Questions on Mondo Rescue features]

Yang, Yee Na (KR - Seoul)

Hello. Mondo rescue users!

I have a quick question on the Mondo features!

Does it support “Infinite block-level incremental backup”?

Thanks in advance!

Yeena

cid:image002.png@01D1D083.12406BC0

Best Regards

Yeena, Yang

Consultant | Technology Group

Deloitte Consulting

6F., One IFC, 23 Yoido-dong, Youngdeungpo-gu, Seoul, Korea

Mobile: +82.10.5398.2567

[hidden email] | www.deloitteconsulting.co.kr

Deloitte refers to one or more of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee, and its network of member firms, each of which is a legally separate and independent entity. Please see www.deloitte.com/kr/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited and its member firms. This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Re: [Mondo-devel] [Questions on Mondo Rescue features]

Bruno Cornec-4
Hello,

Yang, Yee Na (KR - Seoul) said on Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 12:32:46AM +0000:
>Does it support "Infinite block-level incremental backup"?

I have no clue of what it means, not google as it seems :-(

Re: [Mondo-devel] [Questions on Mondo Rescue features]

Rick Stevens
On 07/18/2016 04:22 PM, Bruno Cornec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yang, Yee Na (KR - Seoul) said on Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 12:32:46AM +0000:
>> Does it support "Infinite block-level incremental backup"?
>
> I have no clue of what it means, not google as it seems :-(

I think I can answer it, Bruno.

In answer to Yee Na's question, no, it doesn't do an infinite
block-level incremental backup. It doesn't do ANY block-level backup.
MondoRescue is a file-level backup system. It backs up files and disk
structures (partitions, filesystems, etc.) and the data they
contain--but not the individual raw blocks of the devices those
constructs live on.

Block-level backup systems are incredibly complex beasts as they have
to keep snapshots of the bitmaps of the devices being backed up and are
rarely needed unless you are using some application such as Ingress SQL
or Oracle that can utilize a raw disk as its storage medium and you're
trying to back up just the used portions of those devices. That sort
of thing isn't really common in the usage segment MondoRescue is aimed
at.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    [hidden email] -
- AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 226437340           Yahoo: origrps2 -
-                                                                    -
-        Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.        -

Rick Stevens said on Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 04:43:02PM -0700:

>> Yang, Yee Na (KR - Seoul) said on Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 12:32:46AM +0000:
>>> Does it support "Infinite block-level incremental backup"?
>>
>> I have no clue of what it means, not google as it seems :-(
>
>I think I can answer it, Bruno.
>
>In answer to Yee Na's question, no, it doesn't do an infinite
>block-level incremental backup. It doesn't do ANY block-level backup.
>MondoRescue is a file-level backup system. It backs up files and disk
>structures (partitions, filesystems, etc.) and the data they
>contain--but not the individual raw blocks of the devices those
>constructs live on.

Ah thanks for the explanation !
However mondoarchive has a -x option:
-x 'dev ...' Specify non-Linux partitions which you want to backup, e.g. NTFS

Not a clever one, just calling ntfsclone behind the scene.
And nothing incremental there.

Of course if a company is ready to spent the hundreds of thousands of USD to
do it, I'm sure someone will raise the hand to do it ;-)

On 07/19/2016 06:32 AM, Bruno Cornec wrote:

> Rick Stevens said on Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 04:43:02PM -0700:
>>>
>>> I have no clue of what it means, not google as it seems :-(
>>
>> I think I can answer it, Bruno.
>>
>> In answer to Yee Na's question, no, it doesn't do an infinite
>> block-level incremental backup. It doesn't do ANY block-level backup.
>> MondoRescue is a file-level backup system. It backs up files and disk
>> structures (partitions, filesystems, etc.) and the data they
>> contain--but not the individual raw blocks of the devices those
>> constructs live on.
>
> Ah thanks for the explanation !
> However mondoarchive has a -x option:
> -x 'dev ...' Specify non-Linux partitions which you want to backup, e.g. NTFS

Yes, but that's not "incremental" and the disk MUST use a partition
scheme Mondo knows about--unless you can say "starting at block X and
finishing at block Y" to take the partitioning scheme out of it.

> Not a clever one, just calling ntfsclone behind the scene.
> And nothing incremental there.

Correct.

> Of course if a company is ready to spent the hundreds of thousands of USD to
> do it, I'm sure someone will raise the hand to do it ;-)

Yup. There are incremental, block-level backup programs, but the
software is very complex in that they have to keep track of what was
used on the disk the last time (often by use of some form of checksum
on each block) and compare that against the current checksums of the
blocks. In that way, they don't care how the disk is used and can back
up the blocks individually. Essentially a sophisticated, recursive
version of

        dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/some/media bs=diskblocksize skip=X count=Y

where "X" is the starting block of a chunk that needs backing up and
"Y" is the number of blocks starting at "X" to do. Rinse and repeat
until all raw blocks that changed are backed up. Ye gods! Here be
dragons!

The device in question must generally be taken offline to do the backup
and it takes a LONG time since the ENTIRE disk must be scanned--not
just the bits that make up active parts of filesystems. The positive
thing is that they can back up anything--not just filesystems the
program knows about. The downside is the bigger the disk, the longer it
takes. I guess they were popular back when a 256MB disk was gigantic
(e.g. the old DEC RM60 and RA81 and such), but now that disks >1TB are
common, probably not so much.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    [hidden email] -
- AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 226437340           Yahoo: origrps2 -
-     To err is human, to forgive is beyond the scope of the OS      -