Quantcast

[Mondo-devel] Problem creating archive

Graham Fleming
Hi,

First, sorry to bother you all and thank you for this.

I am trying to set Mondo up on my Debian Lenny box and am having trouble getting it to work correctly. The box is a x86.

The issue is that when I run Mondoarchive it stops before it finishes. According to the log Mindi is telling me that Mindi-Busybox is not installed, yet I have installed it, reinstalled it, and reinstalled it again and it still won't recognise it. You can probably already tell that I am new to Linux and this might be much of my problem.

The steps that I went through to install it:

>sudo tar xvf busybox...
>cd busybox
>sudo make busybox
>sudo make install

I then went through the process with mindi and mondo about the same fashion with no success.

An interesting side issue is that when I try to run Mindi by itselt and it fails, part of the message suggests that I go to teh busybox.net web site to get a copy of busybox. I tried that too but couldn't find a copy of Mindi-Busybox and tried that, but it didn't work either. Then tried reinstalling Mindi-Busybox again without success.

Thanks again.

Graham

mindi.log (10K) Download Attachment
mondoarchive.log (33K) Download Attachment

Re: [Mondo-devel] Problem creating archive

Muskoka Auto Parts Limited
On 30/03/10 9:36 PM, Graham Fleming wrote:
> I am trying to set Mondo up on my Debian Lenny box and am having trouble
> getting it to work correctly. The box is a x86.
> The steps that I went through to install it:
>>sudo wget ftp://mondo........./mindi-busybox.....gz

Hi Graham

As a new user, you would be *much* better off sticking with Debian's
built in methods for installing software, instead of the manual process
you are trying to do now. It's part of what makes Debian really great.
Don't do the download, unzip, make, make install thing unless you really
have to. Lots of good reasons not to do that.

If you aren't familiar with Synaptic (the most common GUI front end)
that's a great place to start when you install software. Search for what
you want, tick the box and hit install. Quick, easy and reliable.

Now I'm not currently using Debian Lenny, so I'm not sure what version
of Mondo you would get if you did exactly that. To get the latest and
greatest installed, while still using the built in packaging system see
<http://trac.mondorescue.org/wiki/FAQ#Q11DoesmondoworkwithDebianUbuntudistributions>
and follow those instructions.

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is removing the stuff you've
already installed, if it's put in slightly different places than Debian
wants them.  Perhaps someone else has comments on that?

Brian