[Mondo-devel] P2V of a CentOS5/Elastix server, with software RAID: some trouble...

[Mondo-devel] P2V of a CentOS5/Elastix server, with software RAID: some trouble...

Marco Gaiarin

I'm trying to P2V a CentOS5/Elastix server, confgured some years ago
with software raid.
Backup goes well and a single ISO get done.

But when i try to restore it, i get in trouble; probably some of my
trouble came from poor knowledge of RH/CentOS world (i'm a
Debianista/Ubuntero ;-).

I've started rescue in nuke mode, but clearly there's no way to go
further, missing original devices (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb, now
/dev/vda).

Switched to interactive mode, i've found the same troubles i've found
on debian on partitioning, seems logical partition are not correctly
handled.
Anyway i've deleted all the parts, recreated them by hand via 'fdisk'
on another terminal, and asked 'no' to the question 'do you want to
erase and partition your hard drive?'.

Then mondo formatted them, and start restoration.
Restoration goes well. After that, i was presented by some requests:

a) initialize the boot loader; clearly i answered 'yes'; then mondo
 ask me if i've changed the mountlist; obviusly, i answer yes and i set
as boot device /dev/vda. Then mondo ask me to edit some files, in turn:
 - /etc/fstab
 - /etc/mtab (why?)
 - /boot/grub/menu.lst
 - /boot/grub/device.map
and i've edited all files according to new setup. After some work,
mondo say me that GRUB was installed correctly.

b) then asked me to label the extX partition, accepted the default
'yes'.

After that, mondo finished, i typed exit and so reboot.

After reboot, the VM start, but panic. Screenshot attached.

Apart trying to resume from /dev/md1 (that cannot harm, i think) seems
to me that, switching from initrd to real root device, something goes
bad.
VirtIO devices seems well supported by CentOS5, anyway i've used them
to restore the system...

Someone can help me? Thanks.

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin        GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''          http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/

    http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/25/index.php/component/k2/item/123

Re: [Mondo-devel] P2V of a CentOS5/Elastix server, with software RAID: some trouble...

Kalchik, Jeffery
Good morning, Marco, et al.

If you haven't already, peruse http://www.mondorescue.org/docs/p2v.pdf.

I've got this a few times, with a reasonable degree of success.  A few hints.... (all from inside a Mondo recovery shell.)

1) Edit /tmp/mountlist to change the visible disk devices from /dev/sd? to /dev/vd?.
2) I've always manually partitioned the disk[s], created the volume groups and filesystems.
3) You'll need to manually recover all of your networking configurations.  On EL5 type systems, you can run 'kudzu' inside a chrooted environment to effectively hotplug your "new" networking hardware.  Don't forget you'll need to mount /proc, /sys and /dev with a  bind option into your chrooted environment.

Generally, I run interactive restores, not full automatic nukes, due to the fact that I only back up operating system volumes, and let the other enterprise backup application take care of the rest.  I don't allow mondorestore to partition or format any filesystems.  I also have scripts running through cron that will generate recovery scripts to recreate volume groups, lvols, and filesystems.

Jeff Kalchik
Systems Engineering
Land O'Lakes

[...]

Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
This message may contain confidential material from Land O'Lakes, Inc. (or its subsidiary) for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may not be reviewed, disclosed, copied, distributed or used by anyone other than the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.

Re: [Mondo-devel] P2V of a CentOS5/Elastix server, with software RAID: some trouble...

Marco Gaiarin

> After reboot, the VM start, but panic. Screenshot attached.

Ahem, now really attached. ;-)

Schermata del 2016-05-09 14:10:11.png (367K) Download Attachment

Re: [Mondo-devel] P2V of a CentOS5/Elastix server, with software RAID: some trouble...

Marco Gaiarin
Mandi! Kalchik, Jeffery
  In chel di` si favelave...

> If you haven't already, peruse http://www.mondorescue.org/docs/p2v.pdf.

Bingo! Probably i've seen that, but judged ''too old''.

Machine booted, i've had regenerated in wrong way the initrd. Thanks!

> 3) You'll need to manually recover all of your networking configurations.  On EL5 type systems, you can run 'kudzu' inside a chrooted environment to effectively hotplug your "new" networking hardware.  Don't forget you'll need to mount /proc, /sys and /dev with a  bind option into your chrooted environment.

Sure, but i've just configured interfaces by hand (i've also VLANs...), so
i can easily recover...