Quantcast

[Mondo-devel] Mondorescue.org FTP

Michael White-2

Hello,

My organization enforces the use of SFTP but it appears the mondorescue is using regular FTP e.g. [Errno 12] Timeout on ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org

Is there a secure FTP mondorescue site?

Thanks.

Michael White | Systems Administrator - VMS/HPUX/Linux | Information Technology

CGH Medical Center | 815.625.0400 x4511 | [hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This communication and any files or attachments transmitted with it may
contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, copying, or action taken in reliance on the contents of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
please promptly delete it and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail so that
the appropriate action may be taken to avoid troubling you further.
Thank you for your cooperation. V2

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondorescue.org FTP

Bruno Cornec-4
Michael White said on Tue, May 09, 2017 at 03:57:10PM +0000:
>My organization enforces the use of SFTP but it appears the mondorescue is using regular FTP e.g. [Errno 12] Timeout on ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org

THat your organization enforce secure connections for internal communications, that nice.
But MondoRescue is an OpenSource program. So I have no need to protect whatever on our ftp (or http site).

>Is there a secure FTP mondorescue site?

No. try using http. If that doesn't work, feel free to forward that mail with your sysadmins, or I can talk to them.

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead    http://github.com/bcornec

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondorescue.org FTP

Michael White-2
Thanks for the reply Bruno.

The problem I have is, yum is not able to access mondo's repository says it has a damaged repomd.xml file.  How to resolve?

yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=mondo* update mondorescue
Setting up Update Process
mondorescue                                                                                                  |  98 kB     00:00 ...
http://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for mondorescue: Damaged repomd.xml file

Michael White said on Wed, May 10, 2017 at 02:33:59PM +0000:
>The problem I have is, yum is not able to access mondo's repository says it has a damaged repomd.xml file.  How to resolve?
>
>yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=mondo* update mondorescue
>Setting up Update Process
>mondorescue                                                                                                  |  98 kB     00:00 ...
>http://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for mondorescue: Damaged repomd.xml file

I've rebuilt the indexes files to be sure. I've been able to launch a yum install mondo on a test VM. So let me know if that's also sufficient for you.

Best regards,
bruno.
Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead    http://github.com/bcornec

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondorescue.org FTP

Michael White-2
Thanks Bruno. Still get the error on this end. I'm sure its corp firewall preventing regular FTP traffic and not on your end.

Michael White said on Tue, May 16, 2017 at 05:43:53AM +0000:
>Thanks Bruno. Still get the error on this end. I'm sure its corp firewall preventing regular FTP traffic and not on your end.

I'm not so sure ! At least as you were not using ftp as a protocol anymore !

>>The problem I have is, yum is not able to access mondo's repository says it has a damaged repomd.xml file.  How to resolve?
>>
>>yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=mondo* update mondorescue Setting up
>>Update Process
>>mondorescue                                                                                                  |  98 kB     00:00 ...
>>http://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
>>-1] Error importing repomd.xml for mondorescue: Damaged repomd.xml file

So you clearly use http as a protocol here to have access to my repo files.

If I do a wget http://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml just now at work, it works correctly.
Can you try on your side as weel and report ?

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead    http://github.com/bcornec

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondorescue.org FTP

Michael White-2
Bruno your more the expert than I, here's some tests I performed. Why yum gets an error I don't have a clue.

My rhel 6 server doesn't have a GUI front end but I launched firefox and sent its display to my pc. If I enter the url into the browser that the yum repo had tried it appears successful. Brings up some XML though it says at the top "this XML file does not appear to have any style information..."

If I try wget from the rhel 6 server it is successful at fetching the file http://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml

#2017-05-16 13:46:00# wget http://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
--2017-05-16 13:46:22--  http://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
Resolving ftp.mondorescue.org... 185.170.48.239
Connecting to ftp.mondorescue.org|185.170.48.239|:80... connected.
Length: 1367 (1.3K) [text/xml]
Saving to: "repomd.xml"

100%[==========================================================================================>] 1,367       --.-K/s   in 0s

2017-05-16 13:46:29 (296 MB/s) - "repomd.xml" saved [1367/1367]

Michael White said on Tue, May 16, 2017 at 05:43:53AM +0000:
>Thanks Bruno. Still get the error on this end. I'm sure its corp firewall preventing regular FTP traffic and not on your end.

I'm not so sure ! At least as you were not using ftp as a protocol anymore !

>>The problem I have is, yum is not able to access mondo's repository says it has a damaged repomd.xml file.  How to resolve?
>>
>>yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=mondo* update mondorescue Setting up
>>Update Process
>>mondorescue                                                                                                  |  98 kB     00:00 ...
>>http://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
>>-1] Error importing repomd.xml for mondorescue: Damaged repomd.xml
>>file

So you clearly use http as a protocol here to have access to my repo files.

If I do a wget http://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml just now at work, it works correctly.
Can you try on your side as weel and report ?

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead    http://github.com/bcornec

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This communication and any files or attachments transmitted with it may
contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, copying, or action taken in reliance on the contents of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
please promptly delete it and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail so that
the appropriate action may be taken to avoid troubling you further.
Thank you for your cooperation. V2

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondorescue.org FTP

Rick Stevens
On 05/16/2017 11:49 AM, Michael White wrote:

> Bruno your more the expert than I, here's some tests I performed. Why yum gets an error I don't have a clue.
>
> My rhel 6 server doesn't have a GUI front end but I launched firefox and sent its display to my pc. If I enter the url into the browser that the yum repo had tried it appears successful. Brings up some XML though it says at the top "this XML file does not appear to have any style information..."
>
> If I try wget from the rhel 6 server it is successful at fetching the file http://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
>
> #2017-05-16 13:46:00# wget http://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
> --2017-05-16 13:46:22--  http://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
> Resolving ftp.mondorescue.org... 185.170.48.239
> Connecting to ftp.mondorescue.org|185.170.48.239|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
> Length: 1367 (1.3K) [text/xml]
> Saving to: "repomd.xml"
>
> 100%[==========================================================================================>] 1,367       --.-K/s   in 0s
>
> 2017-05-16 13:46:29 (296 MB/s) - "repomd.xml" saved [1367/1367]

This error doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem with the
repomd.xml file. It can occur if you must use a proxy but do not have a
proxy configured in your /etc/yum.repos.d/mondorescue.repo or general
yum.conf file.

Most other programs use libproxy, but yum doesn't unless you explicitly
tell it to via "proxy=libproxy" in one of the config files or you set:

        proxy=<URL-to-your-proxy-server>
        proxy_username=<your-proxy-username-if-needed>
        proxy_password=<your-proxy-password-if-needed>

in yum.conf or the repo file.

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    [hidden email] -
- AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 226437340           Yahoo: origrps2 -
-                                                                    -
-                       When in doubt, mumble.                       -

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondorescue.org FTP

Michael White-2
Not behind a proxy server.

Michael White said on Wed, May 17, 2017 at 01:30:11PM +0000:
>Not behind a proxy server.

>From: Rick Stevens [mailto:[hidden email]]
>> Bruno your more the expert than I, here's some tests I performed. Why yum gets an error I don't have a clue.

So do I :-(

>> If I try wget from the rhel 6 server it is successful at fetching the
>> file http://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
>>
>> #2017-05-16 13:46:00# wget
>> http://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
>> --2017-05-16 13:46:22--
>> http://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
>> Resolving ftp.mondorescue.org... 185.170.48.239 Connecting to
>> ftp.mondorescue.org|185.170.48.239|:80... connected.
>> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
>> Length: 1367 (1.3K) [text/xml]
>> Saving to: "repomd.xml"

Ok, so definitely your http connection works.

Proxy wa salso my next question. So now, could you share your /etc/yum.conf
Other possibility is to add a tcpdump tool ol the server and spy the traffic when you do the yum install command to see if something strage is found.
Another one, would be to check that yum is indeed allowed to write in the target temp dir. Do you run SELinux on this system ?

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead    http://github.com/bcornec