[Mondo-devel] Mondorescue 3.2.2.1 & Rhel 6.7 UEFI and GPT Help

[Mondo-devel] Mondorescue 3.2.2.1 & Rhel 6.7 UEFI and GPT Help

Varner, Daisy N

Greetings!

I am seeking some help with  version  3.2.2-1 of Mondorescue and Rhel 6.7 running on an IBM Blade Powercenter H22. The RHEL version installed is using Grub 0.92 and Mondo creates the archive without error .However on restore it throws the following error:  “WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util > fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

As such, upon restore it appears to create the partitions however they are not  bootable . I’ve tried expert mode and Interactive and exited to use parted to recreate the partitions but the server is not bootable after continuing the restore. I’m not familiar what I’d need to do to get the restore working.

Additionally, quitting parted does not return to the mondo shell. Can you provide some steps & guidance ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Respectfully,

Nicole

mondo11.JPG (251K) Download Attachment
r2slac26parted1.JPG (153K) Download Attachment
r2slac26mondoexprt1.JPG (120K) Download Attachment
r2slac26parted3.JPG (172K) Download Attachment

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondorescue 3.2.2.1 & Rhel 6.7 UEFI and GPT Help

Bruno Cornec-4
Hello Daisy,

Would be more helpful to have log files.
If your system is UEFI (which the GPT option could imply), could you please try with the beta of 3.3.0 at ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test/centos/6/x86_64 please ?

Best regards,
Bruno.

Varner, Daisy N said on Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 01:44:58AM +0000:
>I am seeking some help with  version  3.2.2-1 of Mondorescue and Rhel 6.7 running on an IBM Blade Powercenter H22. The RHEL version installed is using Grub 0.92 and Mondo creates the archive without error .However on restore it throws the following error:  "WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util > fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted."

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondorescue 3.2.2.1 & Rhel 6.7 UEFI and GPT Help

Varner, Daisy N
Hi Bruno!

Yes, the system is UEFI. I will download the new beta and try it. I'll need to kickstart my test server again as I nuked it. I'm not sure how I would be able to get the log files as I'm remote to the server and I'm working on the console. Am I able to configure a nic when in the mondo bash shell to temporarily put the box on the network?

Thank you

Would be more helpful to have log files.
If your system is UEFI (which the GPT option could imply), could you please try with the beta of 3.3.0 at ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test/centos/6/x86_64 please ?

Best regards,
Bruno.

Varner, Daisy N said on Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 01:44:58AM +0000:
>I am seeking some help with  version  3.2.2-1 of Mondorescue and Rhel 6.7 running on an IBM Blade Powercenter H22. The RHEL version installed is using Grub 0.92 and Mondo creates the archive without error .However on restore it throws the following error:  "WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util > fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted."

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondorescue 3.2.2.1 & Rhel 6.7 UEFI and GPT Help

Varner, Daisy N
Hi Bruno!

I downloaded the 3.3 version and tried it. The server now just boots into Grub .097 menu. Here are screenshots of what the latest log reports.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, the system is UEFI. I will download the new beta and try it. I'll need to kickstart my test server again as I nuked it. I'm not sure how I would be able to get the log files as I'm remote to the server and I'm working on the console. Am I able to configure a nic when in the mondo bash shell to temporarily put the box on the network?

Thank you

Would be more helpful to have log files.
If your system is UEFI (which the GPT option could imply), could you please try with the beta of 3.3.0 at ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test/centos/6/x86_64 please ?

Best regards,
Bruno.

Varner, Daisy N said on Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 01:44:58AM +0000:
>I am seeking some help with  version  3.2.2-1 of Mondorescue and Rhel 6.7 running on an IBM Blade Powercenter H22. The RHEL version installed is using Grub 0.92 and Mondo creates the archive without error .However on restore it throws the following error:  "WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util > fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted."

blademond33.JPG (146K) Download Attachment
blademond33-2.JPG (162K) Download Attachment
blademond33-3.JPG (27K) Download Attachment

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondorescue 3.2.2.1 & Rhel 6.7 UEFI and GPT Help

Bruno Cornec-4
Hello Daisy,

Could you provied the /var/log/mondorestore.log file, as I've seen in your screenshot something strange (a -1 param for grub which seems odd), but I'd like to get the other traces around. If you prefer send it privately.

Bruno.

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead    http://github.com/bcornec

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondorescue 3.2.2.1 & Rhel 6.7 UEFI and GPT Help

Bruno Cornec-4
Hello,

Thanks for the log.
It seems that you're using the beta of mondo 3.3.0 but not of mindi and all relevant packages available under ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test/rhel/6/x86_64/

Bruno Cornec said on Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 04:24:53PM +0100:
>>Yes, the system is UEFI. I will download the new beta and try it. I'll need to kickstart my test server again as I nuked it. I'm not sure how I would be able to get the log files as I'm remote to the server and I'm working on the console. Am I able to configure a nic when in the mondo bash shell to temporarily put the box on the network?

Now I think that while your original system is in UEFI mode, the restored one is not right ?
Because you shouldn't use grub in that case, but grub.efi under /boot/efi/EFI/redhat

Currently mondorestore doesn't recreate a UEFI entry in a menu, so after restore & reboot, you have to go in your UEFI menu and recreate an entry point for your system.
Then it should boot fine using grub.efi, not rub.

Look at your manufacturer docs in order to recreate the entry (it's linked to the UEFI implementation).

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead    http://github.com/bcornec