[Mondo-devel] Mondo restore failure on Fedora 23

[Mondo-devel] Mondo restore failure on Fedora 23

Rick Stevens
Bruno,

I'm having an issue trying to validate mondoarchive/mondorestore/mindi
on a 64-bit Fedora 24 system. I've installed the Fedora 23 RPMs:

        [root@golem4 ~]# mondoarchive --version
        mondoarchive v3.2.2-r3578

        [root@golem4 ~]# mindi --version
        Mindi v3.0.2-r3578

And from the logs:

        Mindi-BusyBox v1.21.1-r3578.

I was backing up a very small set of files to an external USB-based hard
drive as a test case. After buggering the sizes of things in the
mindi.conf file as I've had to do before, everything seems to work as
far as backing up to the external drive, doing a mondorestore to
somewhere else on the existing filesystem and comparing the restored
files to the originals. However, booting from the mindi ISO disk
(simulating an attempt to restore to a bare metal machine) absolutely
does _not_ work. This is not a UEFI-based machine (at least not yet),
so that shouldn't be an issue. It is pure grub2.

The mindi log says the iso file is located somewhere in the scratch
directory. It isn't...the scratch directory is either non-existent or
empty when the mondoarchive job ends. I thought I recalled it being
created in /var/cache/mindi and, indeed, I saw it there so you probably
want to fix the logging to say where the file actually ends up--not
where it's initially created. It may be obvious to you, but unless you
watch the output of the program, you won't know where it ends up.

I burned that /var/cache/mindi/mindi.iso to a DVD, but after booting
the DVD in "interactive" mode, it never displayed a mountlist nor asked
me if I accepted it. None of the LVM groups or volumes were found
(they're LVM2-based using the /dev/mapper names in /etc/fstab), nor
were any LVM-tools tools present (a 'find / -name "lv*"' yielded some
weird logs and things but no tools, so the documents that say you have
the tools to recreate a weird LVM layout from the command line are
not true). On top of that, the mondorestore command was also nowhere to
be found so even if I could recreate the LVs in a pinch, I'd have had no
way to restore to them.

What am I doing wrong or what have I misunderstood? I have the logs if
you want them. I applaud your efforts on this, but I can't trust it to
do a restore to a bare metal machine at this point and that's the
purpose of a disaster recovery solution, isn't it?
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    [hidden email] -
- AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 226437340           Yahoo: origrps2 -
-                                                                    -
-  Memory is the second thing to go, but I can't remember the first! -

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondo restore failure on Fedora 23

Bruno Cornec-4
Hello Rick,

Rick Stevens said on Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 05:37:08PM -0700:
>However, booting from the mindi ISO disk
>(simulating an attempt to restore to a bare metal machine) absolutely
>does _not_ work. This is not a UEFI-based machine (at least not yet),
>so that shouldn't be an issue. It is pure grub2.

The mindi ISO is not supposed to help you with the mondorestore process. It doesn't contain it ! Mindi can be used for other non-DR related topics. I'm currntly making patches to add Ironic support in it (Cloud Bare metal deployment tool).

That image is made as a toolkit to help you create a bootable env suitable for your HW, with a minimal set of tools. It serves as a base on which mondoarchive adds content (including the mondorestore command) to create the real ISO you should use which is the mondorestore one.

>The mindi log says the iso file is located somewhere in the scratch
>directory. It isn't...the scratch directory is either non-existent or
>empty when the mondoarchive job ends. I thought I recalled it being
>created in /var/cache/mindi and, indeed, I saw it there so you probably
>want to fix the logging to say where the file actually ends up--not
>where it's initially created. It may be obvious to you, but unless you
>watch the output of the program, you won't know where it ends up.

Could you provide the related lines on the log, I'm not finding that with a quick search.

>I burned that /var/cache/mindi/mindi.iso to a DVD, but after booting
>the DVD in "interactive" mode, it never displayed a mountlist nor asked
>me if I accepted it. None of the LVM groups or volumes were found

Normal. It doesn't have what is needed. Use the image created by mondoarchive.

On 09/23/2016 04:43 AM, Bruno Cornec wrote:
> Hello Rick,
>
> Rick Stevens said on Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 05:37:08PM -0700:
>> However, booting from the mindi ISO disk
>> (simulating an attempt to restore to a bare metal machine) absolutely
>> does _not_ work. This is not a UEFI-based machine (at least not yet),
>> so that shouldn't be an issue. It is pure grub2.
>
> The mindi ISO is not supposed to help you with the mondorestore process. It doesn't contain it ! Mindi can be used for other non-DR related topics. I'm currntly making patches to add Ironic support in it (Cloud Bare metal deployment tool).

Ah, so the first ISO built as part of the backup set is the boot disk
for a bare-metal restore. Ok. I'll give it a try.

> That image is made as a toolkit to help you create a bootable env suitable for your HW, with a minimal set of tools. It serves as a base on which mondoarchive adds content (including the mondorestore command) to create the real ISO you should use which is the mondorestore one.
>
>> The mindi log says the iso file is located somewhere in the scratch
>> directory. It isn't...the scratch directory is either non-existent or
>> empty when the mondoarchive job ends. I thought I recalled it being
>> created in /var/cache/mindi and, indeed, I saw it there so you probably
>> want to fix the logging to say where the file actually ends up--not
>> where it's initially created. It may be obvious to you, but unless you
>> watch the output of the program, you won't know where it ends up.
>
> Could you provide the related lines on the log, I'm not finding that with a quick search.

Sure. From /var/log/mindi.log, around line 11761 (on this instance):

INFO: Creating a 906712 KB empty file for boot device of the ISO image
INFO: Creating a vfat filesystem on /tmp/mondo.tmp.cjtERt/mindi-bootroot.img
mkfs.fat 3.0.28 (2015-05-16)
INFO: Mounting /tmp/mondo.tmp.cjtERt/mindi-bootroot.img on
/tmp/mondo.tmp.cjtERt/mpt
INFO: Moving boot info on /tmp/mondo.tmp.cjtERt/mpt
INFO: Invoking /usr/bin/genisoimage -J -r -v -p Mindi -publisher
http://www.mondorescue.org -A Mindi -V Mindi_Image -o
/var/cache/mindi/mindi.iso  -b syslinux/isolinux.bin -c
syslinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table .
INFO: Created bootable ISO image at
/media/500GB-ESATA/mondo.scratch.E15goI/images/mindi.iso

I see in the "genisoimage" command that it's actually being written to
/var/cache/mindi/mindi.iso, but the final INFO: log entry is pretty
misleading--especially if someone doesn't understand the syntax of the
genisoimage command.

>> I burned that /var/cache/mindi/mindi.iso to a DVD, but after booting
>> the DVD in "interactive" mode, it never displayed a mountlist nor asked
>> me if I accepted it. None of the LVM groups or volumes were found
>
> Normal. It doesn't have what is needed. Use the image created by mondoarchive.

I'll give it a shot when I have a chance. I'm a bit swamped at the
moment (Mondays are always busy around here).
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    [hidden email] -
- AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 226437340           Yahoo: origrps2 -
-                                                                    -
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -

Rick Stevens said on Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:52:58AM -0700:

>INFO: Invoking /usr/bin/genisoimage -J -r -v -p Mindi -publisher
>http://www.mondorescue.org -A Mindi -V Mindi_Image -o
>/var/cache/mindi/mindi.iso  -b syslinux/isolinux.bin -c
>syslinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table .
>INFO: Created bootable ISO image at
>/media/500GB-ESATA/mondo.scratch.E15goI/images/mindi.iso
>
>I see in the "genisoimage" command that it's actually being written to
>/var/cache/mindi/mindi.iso, but the final INFO: log entry is pretty
>misleading--especially if someone doesn't understand the syntax of the
>genisoimage command.

Right. It's an error as that message use the variable MINDI_CACHE, but that one was in between overwritten by mondo, so the value is then incorrect. I have fixed that in rev 3608.

>(Mondays are always busy around here).

Just mondays, you're a luck guy ;-)

On 09/27/2016 03:46 AM, Bruno Cornec wrote:

> Rick Stevens said on Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:52:58AM -0700:
>> INFO: Invoking /usr/bin/genisoimage -J -r -v -p Mindi -publisher
>> http://www.mondorescue.org -A Mindi -V Mindi_Image -o
>> /var/cache/mindi/mindi.iso  -b syslinux/isolinux.bin -c
>> syslinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table .
>> INFO: Created bootable ISO image at
>> /media/500GB-ESATA/mondo.scratch.E15goI/images/mindi.iso
>>
>> I see in the "genisoimage" command that it's actually being written to
>> /var/cache/mindi/mindi.iso, but the final INFO: log entry is pretty
>> misleading--especially if someone doesn't understand the syntax of the
>> genisoimage command.
>
> Right. It's an error as that message use the variable MINDI_CACHE, but that one was in between overwritten by mondo, so the value is then incorrect. I have fixed that in rev 3608.

I figured something like that. No worries.

>> (Mondays are always busy around here).
>
> Just mondays, you're a luck guy ;-)

You're right. Actually, every day is busy (usually 10-12 hours), but
Mondays are particularly so.

Bob Dylan said, "Rust never sleeps" but neither does the Internet. Since
a large part of our business is streaming and moving big media files
all over the world (our Brevity product line), all the crud that occurs
on the weekend that isn't critical gets piled up to be handled Monday.
Critical stuff always pages my cell phone and we deal with it right
away.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    [hidden email] -
- AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 226437340           Yahoo: origrps2 -
-   I haven't lost my mind.  It's backed up on tape somewhere, but   -
-                       probably not recoverable.                    -