[Mondo-devel] Mondo hanging up during "Dividing Filelist into sets" on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

[Mondo-devel] Mondo hanging up during "Dividing Filelist into sets" on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Lynn Dixon
All,
I am trying to run Mondo on my Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit system and it always seems to hangup on "Dividing File List into Sets".  IT will stay at this screen endlessly.  I am running 2.2.9.2-1

Any suggestions?

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondo hanging up during "Dividing Filelist into sets" on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Gattegno, Victor (GSD CSC / GCC)
Hello,

Please check your /var/log/mindi.log and /var/log/mondoarchive.log, and post it to this mailing-list if you need help.
Please post also the result of:
dpkg -l | egrep 'afio|buffer|mondo|mindi|glibc|busybox|newt' | sort

I would suggest you to try:
* to just backup a directory, to see if you get that problem too
* the latest versions of mindi, mindi-busybox, and mondo ( ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org ).

Did you checked also the FAQ for Ubuntu particularities ?

Regards,
Victor

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondo hanging up during "Dividing Filelist into sets" on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Lynn Dixon
Thanks for the reply.
I have attached my log files in the email.
I have also attached the results of the dpkg -l command you requested in a .txt file to make it easier to read.

Thanks again for any help you folks can offer. If there is anything else I should try please let me know.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:15 AM, Gattegno, Victor (EMEA BSS CC) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Please check your /var/log/mindi.log and /var/log/mondoarchive.log, and post it to this mailing-list if you need help.
Please post also the result of:
dpkg -l | egrep 'afio|buffer|mondo|mindi|glibc|busybox|newt' | sort

I would suggest you to try:
* to just backup a directory, to see if you get that problem too
* the latest versions of mindi, mindi-busybox, and mondo ( ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org ).

Did you checked also the FAQ for Ubuntu particularities ?

Regards,
Victor

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondo hanging up during "Dividing Filelist into sets" on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Gattegno, Victor (GSD CSC / GCC)
Hi again,

From mondoarchive.log it seems that you answered negatively to the following question:
"gzip: /media/array/mondotemp/archives/filelist.full.gz already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)?"

It is the reason why mondoarchive cannot do the gzip and stopped:
"Fatal error received - 'Failed to gzip filelist.full'"

I would recommend you to try again and to answer positively to that question.

Regards,
Victor

I have attached my log files in the email.
I have also attached the results of the dpkg -l command you requested in a .txt file to make it easier to read.

Thanks again for any help you folks can offer. If there is anything else I should try please let me know.

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondo hanging up during "Dividing Filelist into sets" on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Bruno Cornec-2
Gattegno, Victor (EMEA BSS CC) said on Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 02:55:38PM +0000:

> >From mondoarchive.log it seems that you answered negatively to the following question:
> "gzip: /media/array/mondotemp/archives/filelist.full.gz already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)?"
>
> It is the reason why mondoarchive cannot do the gzip and stopped:
> "Fatal error received - 'Failed to gzip filelist.full'"

This is a problem when the temp dir already exists and already contains
some data. Please also before relaunching, remove /media/array/mondotemp

And I think that the answer to the question is not left to the user.
I'll need to make a sub temp level below the one given by the user, with
a temp name I think. Worth a ticket.

Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com
HP/Intel/Red Hat Open Source Solutions Initiative  / http://www.hpintelco.net
http://www.HyPer-Linux.org  http://mondorescue.org http://project-builder.org
La musique ancienne?  http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondo hanging up during "Dividing Filelist into sets" on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Lynn Dixon
Victor,
Thanks again for the resonse.  I dont recall seeing that prompt from Mondo during the process.
I completely deleted the mondotemp directory and then recreated it using 777 permission just in case.
I then attempted to re-run Mondo. It error'd out yet again, but in a different spot.
I had this on after mondo dumped back to the command line:

Initializing...
See /var/log/mondoarchive.log for details of backup run.
Checking sanity of your Linux distribution
WARNING: Module loop not found.
Done.
---FATALERROR--- Failed to generate boot+data disks
If you require technical support, please contact the mailing list.
See http://www.mondorescue.org for details.
The list's members can help you, if you attach that file to your e-mail.
Log file: /var/log/mondoarchive.log
Mondo has aborted.
Execution run ended; result=254
Type 'less /var/log/mondoarchive.log' to see the output log
root@samba:/media/array/SystemFiles#

I have attached the newly updated mondo and mindi log files in this email.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Gattegno, Victor (EMEA BSS CC) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi again,

From mondoarchive.log it seems that you answered negatively to the following question:

mondoarchive.log (139K) Download Attachment
mindi.log (95K) Download Attachment

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondo hanging up during "Dividing Filelist into sets" on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Lynn Dixon
Bruno,
Just tried again with no success.  Here is what was at the command line when mondo dumped back:

root@samba:/media/array# mondoarchive
Initializing...
See /var/log/mondoarchive.log for details of backup run.
WARNING: Module loop not found.
Checking sanity of your Linux distribution
Done.
---FATALERROR--- Failed to generate boot+data disks
If you require technical support, please contact the mailing list.
See http://www.mondorescue.org for details.
The list's members can help you, if you attach that file to your e-mail.
Log file: /var/log/mondoarchive.log
Mondo has aborted.
Execution run ended; result=254
Type 'less /var/log/mondoarchive.log' to see the output log
root@samba:/media/array#

this time, I did delete the mondotemp dir and did not re-create it.  I also let mondo use the defaults when it asked for the temp and scratch directories.  I have attached the log files for your review

mondoarchive.log (138K) Download Attachment

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondo hanging up during "Dividing Filelist into sets" on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Gattegno, Victor (GSD CSC / GCC)
Good, mondoarchive go further now.

But in mindi.log we see that mindi got a problem :
"FATAL ERROR. Sorry, /dev/sda1 is already mounted! CANNOT DO IMAGEDEV on it if it's mounted."
You need to specify a mount point not a device
Just for information, which GNU/linux distrib are you using ?  Which version ?

Regards,
Victor

I have attached my log files in the email.
I have also attached the results of the dpkg -l command you requested in a .txt file to make it easier to read.

Thanks again for any help you folks can offer. If there is anything else I should try please let me know.

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondo hanging up during "Dividing Filelist into sets" on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Gattegno, Victor (GSD CSC / GCC)
Sorry, I saw it in the title : Ubuntu 9.10.

I see in mondoarchive.log that you had set: '/dev/sda1 /dev/sda5'

mondoarchive.log, line 99:
interactively_obtain_media_parameters_from_user#2683: image_devs = '/dev/sda1 /dev/sda5'

Regards,
Victor

Lynn Dixon said on Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 04:48:46PM -0400:

> Yes, /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda5 are my windows partitions on the same hard
> drive that I dual boot. are those parameters not correct?

Yes there are. They should be separated by a '|' char for mindi.
However, i saw that in the code and it doesn't seem to be documented. So
once you checked that it's woking correctly for you I'll have to fic the
doc.

Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com
HP/Intel/Red Hat Open Source Solutions Initiative  / http://www.hpintelco.net
http://www.HyPer-Linux.org  http://mondorescue.org http://project-builder.org
La musique ancienne?  http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondo hanging up during "Dividing Filelist into sets" on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Lynn Dixon
Bruno,
I'd be more than happy to test by using the | character but I am not sure how to. I just launch mondo by running the command mondorchive from the command line.  I then use the GUI to enter all the requirements.

Do I need to use a straight command line with all the switches and arguments?

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Bruno Cornec <[hidden email]> wrote:
Lynn Dixon said on Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 04:48:46PM -0400:

> Yes, /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda5 are my windows partitions on the same hard
> drive that I dual boot. are those parameters not correct?

Yes there are. They should be separated by a '|' char for mindi.
However, i saw that in the code and it doesn't seem to be documented. So
once you checked that it's woking correctly for you I'll have to fic the
doc.

Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com
HP/Intel/Red Hat Open Source Solutions Initiative  / http://www.hpintelco.net
http://www.HyPer-Linux.org  http://mondorescue.org http://project-builder.org
La musique ancienne?  http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondo hanging up during "Dividing Filelist into sets" on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Lynn Dixon
Bruno,
I tried running mondo with and separating /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda5 with the | character.  It was able to startup and run, but hung up and quit during the "dividing large file sets" again.  It managed to get about 58% complete before it died this time
 This is what I did:
ran sudo mondoarchive
then used the gui to select my options.  On the part where it asked about my NTFS paritions I did them this way:

/dev/sda1 | /dev/sda5

then proceeded on.  It appeared to be running great, as it went further this time, but it still died at 58% and dropped to a command line.  I have attached my log files in this email.  Anything else I should try?

mindi.log (247K) Download Attachment
mondoarchive.log (501K) Download Attachment

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondo hanging up during "Dividing Filelist into sets" on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Lynn Dixon
Bruno,
Just want to give you an update.  I was able to get mondo to compeltely finish, and even tested the boot disk it created on a test machine and it worked perfectly!
I ended up logging into the machine locally and starting mondoarchive from a terminal window on the physical machine itself.  I had been using SSH, so I am not sure if that could have been a problem.

I also used the following when it asked about my NTFS paritions.  I enetered them as    /dev/sda1|/dev/sda5 and it worked perfectly.

Could mondo be having problems running over SSH?

Thanks again for your help!

Lynn Dixon said on Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 03:11:28PM -0400:

> I also used the following when it asked about my NTFS paritions.  I enetered
> them as    /dev/sda1|/dev/sda5 and it worked perfectly.

I think that you mention previously that you put a space around the |.
That could be one issue.

> Could mondo be having problems running over SSH?

Honestly I doubt it. Except if your ssh connection died e.g. killing
with it your mondorescue activity.

Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com
HP/Intel/Red Hat Open Source Solutions Initiative  / http://www.hpintelco.net
http://www.HyPer-Linux.org  http://mondorescue.org http://project-builder.org
La musique ancienne?  http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondo hanging up during "Dividing Filelist into sets" on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Lynn Dixon
Bruno,
Thanks again for everything. I was SSH'd in over a LAN, so I dont think my SSH connection broke. So I would say you are 100% right in saying it was the | separater.

Mondo worked perfectly, and when I used the ISO it generated on my test machine, it was an exact clone of my primary homeserver.

Right now I am in the process of upgrading my main homeserver to Ubuntu 10.04.  I will give mondo a try on it and see how it does.

Many thanks to the email list for all the help!