Quantcast

[Mondo-devel] Mondo and DRBD

Devin Ortner-2

I’ve read through some of the old mailing lists and feature changes and saw a few mentions of DRBD and MondoRescue’s lack of support for it (links at the end). I searched the recent Change Logs and I don’t see anything related to DRBD, I’m wondering if anyone is working on support for DRBD right now.

I have two Pacemaker Cluster Managers running RHEL 6.7 that provide several services including a Zabbix monitoring server and it’s backend PostgreSQL service. DRBD is running the storage for PostgreSQL. It’s a small database, and a few files only replicating about 3GB of data on my 10gb LVM partition. I want to make Mondo Recovery DVDs of the system so that I can create a base configuration to use when building future systems. In case it matters, both servers use mdadm to create raid mirrors of the partitions on the disks, MondoRescue seems to handle this just fine with the recently added support. I do have to manually configure and install GRUB for it to work though.

I understand there is probably a lot of work involved to support DRBD especially if no one has started working on it, so if DRBD support is still a long way off I’m wondering if anyone has a suggested work-around. Currently I’m using Clonezilla to restore a base image, but I need to be able to restore from DVD media. My current image takes 3 DVDs per system when backing up with MondoRescue.

Things I’ve tried:

I’ve tried creating the Mondo disks anyway and naturally got the “gap between partitions” that others had mentioned in the mailing list as well as a folder in /dev/drbd that contained all the files.

I tried stopping the Pacemaker Resources so that the DRBD resource was not running, (Still got the gaps between the partitions, probably because the drbd service was still running)

I have NOT yet tried stopping the Pacemaker resources AND stopping the drbd service (I didn’t realize it was still running when I tested the previous method)

This is what I was thinking of trying this next:

Zip the files DRBD replicates, and copy them to the root dir of one of the systems (Compressed the files get to about 350MB)

Save the metadata from the DRBD resource.

Stop Pacemaker Resources

Stop DRBD services

Remove the LVM partition created for DRBD

Create Mondo Archive Disks

Come up with a procedure or write a script (that I could place in the post-restore tarball) to:

Create the LVM partition, setup the DRBD resource and write the metadata, then extract the zip to the resource disk, and start the Pacemaker Resources.

Related Links:

http://trac.mondorescue.org/ticket/695

https://sourceforge.net/p/mondo/mailman/message/25312636/

Any suggestions, comments, concerns, or questions are appreciated.

Also if someone is willing to work on implementing support for DRBD; I might not have a quick turn-around time, but  I’ll do what I can to test changes and provide logs and feedback.

Thank you,

Devin

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondo and DRBD

Bruno Cornec-4
Hello,

Devin Ortner said on Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 08:23:00AM -0500:
>I’ve read through some of the old mailing lists and feature changes and saw
>a few mentions of DRBD and MondoRescue’s lack of support for it (links at
>the end). I searched the recent Change Logs and I don’t see anything
>related to DRBD, I’m wondering if anyone is working on support for DRBD
>right now.

Not to my knowledge.

>I do have to manually configure and install GRUB for it to
>work though.

I'd be interested by more details to see what needs to be fixed.

>I understand there is probably a lot of work involved to support DRBD
>especially if no one has started working on it, so if DRBD support is still
>a long way off I’m wondering if anyone has a suggested work-around.

Well, it's not necessarily a long work, but I don't have the right setup to look at it. However, if you do and want to provide patches, I'll do my best to integrate tha quickly.

>I’ve tried creating the Mondo disks anyway and naturally got the “gap
>between partitions” that others had mentioned in the mailing list as well
>as a folder in /dev/drbd that contained all the files.

Well, first mindi surely misses the right drivers to create a restore env understanding drbd.
As well as the required tools to recreate what is expected by DRBD.
What gives a lsmod on your system ?
What does your /etc/fstab look like ?

Then mondorestore misses the logic to recreate what is neeedd. What commands should we use to recreate the DRBD setup ?
Then I need to understand that and make it generic so that it works for most cases ;-)

>Also if someone is willing to work on implementing support for DRBD; I
>might not have a quick turn-around time, but  I’ll do what I can to test
>changes and provide logs and feedback.

We can work on incremental changes to improve the status of the support indeed. If you give me answers to the pervious questions, I may add preliminary support, give you packages to test, and start from there.

BUT:

I have 3 more important priorities for 3.2.3:
- Add UEFI support for Debian based distros.
- Check/Fix UEFI support for RHEL 6
- Workaround fdisk -l bugs (https://access.redhat.com/solutions/783403) and also limit to 1024 devices

That last one has the most important priority (customer related)

[Mondo-devel] Fwd: Mondo and DRBD

Devin Ortner-2
>>I’ve read through some of the old mailing lists and feature changes and saw
>>a few mentions of DRBD and MondoRescue’s lack of support for it (links at
>>the end). I searched the recent Change Logs and I don’t see anything
>>related to DRBD, I’m wondering if anyone is working on support for DRBD
>>right now.

>Not to my knowledge.

>>I do have to manually configure and install GRUB for it to
>>work though.

>I'd be interested by more details to see what needs to be fixed.

I just had to run 'grub-install /dev/hd0' and 'grub-install /dev/hd1' it booted fine afterward from either drive.

>>I understand there is probably a lot of work involved to support DRBD
>>especially if no one has started working on it, so if DRBD support is still
>>a long way off I’m wondering if anyone has a suggested work-around.

>Well, it's not necessarily a long work, but I don't have the right setup to look at it. However, if you do and want to provide patches, I'll do my best to integrate tha quickly.

I am regularly setting up physical systems that I can test with, at times it may be a little while before one is available for me to test with, but when I have the equipment around I can test any patches.

>>I’ve tried creating the Mondo disks anyway and naturally got the “gap
>>between partitions” that others had mentioned in the mailing list as well
>>as a folder in /dev/drbd that contained all the files.

>Well, first mindi surely misses the right drivers to create a restore env understanding drbd.
>As well as the required tools to recreate what is expected by DRBD.
>What gives a lsmod on your system ?
>What does your /etc/fstab look like ?

It sounds like mindi is going to require some changes for this as well.
(I'll provide output from the commands at the end of the message)

>Then mondorestore misses the logic to recreate what is neeedd. What commands should we use to recreate the DRBD setup ?
>Then I need to understand that and make it generic so that it works for most cases ;-)

I haven't gotten to the point where I can verify the needed commands to restore the DRBD disk, I will provide them as soon as I can do another full start-to-finish restore.

>>Also if someone is willing to work on implementing support for DRBD; I
>>might not have a quick turn-around time, but  I’ll do what I can to test
>>changes and provide logs and feedback.

>We can work on incremental changes to improve the status of the support indeed. If you give me answers to the pervious questions, I may add preliminary support, give you packages to test, and start from there.

>BUT:
>I have 3 more important priorities for 3.2.3:
>- Add UEFI support for Debian based distros.
>- Check/Fix UEFI support for RHEL 6
>- Workaround fdisk -l bugs (https://access.redhat.com/solutions/783403) and also limit to 1024 devices
>That last one has the most important priority (customer related)

Ok sounds good, I'll get the commands required for restoring DRBD as soon as I can, but here is the information from fstab and lsmod:

fstab:
--------
#
# /etc/fstab
# Created by anaconda on Mon Nov 30 12:26:17 2015
#
# Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk'
# See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or blkid(8) for more info
#
/dev/mapper/vg_mgt1-lv_root /                       ext4    defaults        1 1
UUID=be4880c1-dc91-4bac-a878-ecfebbc481a4 /boot                   ext4    defaults        1 2
/dev/mapper/vg_mgt1-lv_home /home                   ext4    defaults        1 2
/dev/mapper/vg_mgt1-lv_install /install                ext4    defaults        1 2
/dev/mapper/vg_mgt1-lv_var /var                    ext4    defaults        1 2
#/dev/mapper/vg_replicated-lv_pgsql /db/pgdata             ext4    defaults        1 2
/dev/mapper/vg_mgt1-lv_swap swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0

lsmod:
----------
Module                  Size  Used by
vfat                   10584  1
fat                    54992  1 vfat
drbd                  365931  4
fuse                   79892  2
nfsd                  311382  13
lockd                  73694  1 nfsd
nfs_acl                 2647  1 nfsd
auth_rpcgss            46084  1 nfsd
sunrpc                266331  17 nfsd,lockd,nfs_acl,auth_rpcgss
exportfs                4236  1 nfsd
autofs4                27000  3
dlm                   148135  8
sctp                  267220  3 dlm
libcrc32c               1246  2 drbd,sctp
cpufreq_ondemand       10544  48
acpi_cpufreq            7763  0
freq_table              4936  2 cpufreq_ondemand,acpi_cpufreq
mperf                   1557  1 acpi_cpufreq
8021q                  20362  0
garp                    7152  1 8021q
stp                     2218  1 garp
llc                     5418  2 garp,stp
dm_multipath           17916  0
rdma_ucm               16467  0
ib_ucm                 12153  0
rdma_cm                43256  1 rdma_ucm
iw_cm                  30175  1 rdma_cm
configfs               29218  3 dlm,rdma_cm
ib_ipoib              124196  0
ib_cm                  39057  3 ib_ucm,rdma_cm,ib_ipoib
ib_uverbs              65543  2 rdma_ucm,ib_ucm
ib_umad                14422  0
mlx5_ib               169018  0
mlx5_core             362935  1 mlx5_ib
knem                   32213  0
uinput                  8120  0
ipmi_devintf            7729  0
sg                     29318  0
microcode             112205  0
tsyncpci               49125  0
joydev                 10480  0
iTCO_wdt                7115  0
iTCO_vendor_support     3056  1 iTCO_wdt
power_meter             9009  0
acpi_ipmi               3745  1 power_meter
ipmi_si                44751  2 acpi_ipmi
ipmi_msghandler        38701  3 ipmi_devintf,acpi_ipmi,ipmi_si
sb_edac                17888  0
bonding               131724  0
edac_core              46645  3 sb_edac
mlx4_ib               195796  0
ib_sa                  24593  5 rdma_ucm,rdma_cm,ib_ipoib,ib_cm,mlx4_ib
ib_mad                 45419  4 ib_cm,ib_umad,mlx4_ib,ib_sa
ib_core               127109  12 rdma_ucm,ib_ucm,rdma_cm,iw_cm,ib_ipoib,ib_cm,ib_uverbs,ib_umad,mlx5_ib,mlx4_ib,ib_sa,ib_mad
ib_addr                 8243  3 rdma_ucm,rdma_cm,ib_core
i2c_i801               10559  0
ipv6                  335589  194 sctp,ib_ipoib,ib_core,ib_addr
mlx4_en               119572  0
mlx4_core             338628  2 mlx4_ib,mlx4_en
mlx_compat             28810  17 rdma_ucm,ib_ucm,rdma_cm,iw_cm,ib_ipoib,ib_cm,ib_uverbs,ib_umad,mlx5_ib,mlx5_core,mlx4_ib,ib_sa,ib_mad,ib_core,ib_addr,mlx4_en,mlx4_core
igb                   189017  0
i2c_algo_bit            5711  1 igb
i2c_core               29132  3 i2c_i801,igb,i2c_algo_bit
ptp                     9614  3 mlx5_core,mlx4_en,igb
pps_core               10690  1 ptp
lpc_ich                12963  0
mfd_core                1895  1 lpc_ich
ioatdma                53955  208
dca                     7101  2 igb,ioatdma
shpchp                 29130  0
ext4                  378683  6
jbd2                   93252  1 ext4
mbcache                 8193  1 ext4
raid1                  32705  2
sr_mod                 15049  0
cdrom                  39085  1 sr_mod
usb_storage            49228  1
sd_mod                 37030  5
crc_t10dif              1209  1 sd_mod
xhci_hcd              183583  0
ahci                   42738  2
wmi                     6287  0
dm_mirror              14384  0
dm_region_hash         12085  1 dm_mirror
dm_log                  9930  2 dm_mirror,dm_region_hash
dm_mod                 99200  25 dm_multipath,dm_mirror,dm_log