[Mondo-devel] Mondo advantages over other backup tools

[Mondo-devel] Mondo advantages over other backup tools

Sergio Belkin-3
Hi,

I'd like to convince my boss of using mondo, but first, I'd like to
hear if I can replace bacula and backups virtual machines of vmware
esxi (I mean: run mondo within virtualized system and restore it from
vsphere client)

Thanks in advance
Sergio Belkin http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
Sergio Belkin -

Re: [Mondo-devel] Mondo advantages over other backup tools

Bruno Cornec-2
Sergio Belkin said on Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:49:34PM -0300:

> I'd like to convince my boss of using mondo, but first, I'd like to
> hear if I can replace bacula and backups virtual machines of vmware
> esxi (I mean: run mondo within virtualized system and restore it from
> vsphere client)

I won't replace bacula. bacula does system backups. MondoRescue does
disaster recovery. They are much moer complementary (even if I think
bacula can also now do DR).

For VM handling look at http://www.mondorescue.org/docs/p2v.pdf

Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com
HP/Intel/Red Hat Open Source Solutions Initiative  / http://www.hpintelco.net
http://www.HyPer-Linux.org  http://mondorescue.org http://project-builder.org
La musique ancienne?  http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

2010/4/16 Bruno Cornec <[hidden email]>:

> Sergio Belkin said on Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:49:34PM -0300:
>
>> I'd like to convince my boss of using mondo, but first, I'd like to
>> hear if I can replace bacula and backups virtual machines of vmware
>> esxi (I mean: run mondo within virtualized system and restore it from
>> vsphere client)
>
> I won't replace bacula. bacula does system backups. MondoRescue does
> disaster recovery. They are much moer complementary (even if I think
> bacula can also now do DR).
>
> For VM handling look at http://www.mondorescue.org/docs/p2v.pdf
>
> Bruno.
> --
> Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com
> HP/Intel/Red Hat Open Source Solutions Initiative  / http://www.hpintelco.net
> http://www.HyPer-Linux.org  http://mondorescue.org http://project-builder.org
> La musique ancienne?  http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for your answer. I love mondo rescue. It's a such great tool. I
work as sysadmin on Universidad de Palermo (Argentina) and I'd like to
use it to backup (although not restricted to) VMware virtual machines.

I am still making tests. But I'd want to show benefits on my job about
this tool. I've find on mondo rescue site that it is "in use by
Lockheed-Martin, Nortel Networks, Siemens, HP, IBM, NASA's JPL, the US
Dept of Agriculture".

Do you know if that info is available somewhere on Internet?

This would be great to convince my boss to use mondo.

Thanks in advance!

PS1: Several years ago I used mondo on a High School Lab and
translated some mondo docs to spanish language.
PS2: I'd love baroque music!!

Sergio Belkin said on Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 08:53:58PM -0300:

> I am still making tests. But I'd want to show benefits on my job about
> this tool. I've find on mondo rescue site that it is "in use by
> Lockheed-Martin, Nortel Networks, Siemens, HP, IBM, NASA's JPL, the US
> Dept of Agriculture".
>
> Do you know if that info is available somewhere on Internet?

Some links are gathered here:
http://trac.mondorescue.org/wiki/CustomerReferences

Also if your boss thinks it's risky, HP will be happy to sell you a
support contract for it ;-)

> PS2: I'd love baroque music!!

OT: Baroque is way too recent ;-) I'm singing Victoria, Morales, Handl,
Lassus at the moment (rehearsal was today ;-)