Quantcast

[Mondo-devel] ISO backup on NFS mount vs NFS backup

[Mondo-devel] ISO backup on NFS mount vs NFS backup

Nikolaos Milas
Hello,

I would like mainly to ask what is considered best practice in backing
up / restoring using NFS.

As an example, I have tried using:

TargetDir1=/mnt/nfs-share/vm-x1/mondo-`hostname`-`date +%Y-%m-%d`
/usr/sbin/mondoarchive -O -i -z -s 4480m -d $TargetDir1 -E "/mnt" -9

which creates ISO files on an NFS shared directory, already mounted at
/mnt/nfs-share.

I also tried:

TargetDir2=vm-x1/mondo-`hostname`-`date +%Y-%m-%d`
/usr/sbin/mondoarchive -O -n "nfs://10.10.10.100:/data/col1/bkup-share"
-d $TargetDir2 -E "/mnt" -9

The two methods in fact store the backup at exactly the same place.

I was expecting the latter method to store a backup as one file, but in
fact it also created a set of ISO files.

Questions:

1. Are both backup methods above considered OK to use?
2. Is it considered sane practice to use the NFS backup method on a
network NFS share which is already mounted on the box?
2. If both methods are considered OK, how could we compare their
advantages/disadvantages?
3. What are the differences in restoring? In general, are (should)
mondoarchive backups be able to be restored with any restore method,
regardless the method they have been taken?

As an example:
Can backups of both methods above be restored as mounted ISOs (virtual
DVDs)?
Can backups of both methods above be restored from a mounted directory
(as NFS mount) with the "Restore from Hard Disk" method?
Can backups of both methods above be restored using network (NFS)
restore method?

Can you please help me understand?

Thank you very much,
Nick

Re: [Mondo-devel] ISO backup on NFS mount vs NFS backup

Gattegno, Victor (GSD CSC / GCC)-2
Hi Nick,

I would recommend the second method (-n "nfs://10.10.10.100:/data/col1/bkup-share" -d $TargetDir2).
Then, when booting on the first iso (the one created by mondoarchive in your $TargetDir2), that TargetDir2 directory will be NFS automagically mounted to restore the other iso files ; because the NFS mount information are stored in that first iso, in mondo-restore.cfg file (in tmp directory of images/all.tar.gz), you can check it by opening the first iso through 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org).

Rgds, Victor

Re: [Mondo-devel] ISO backup on NFS mount vs NFS backup

Bruno Cornec-4
Hello,

Gattegno, Victor said on Tue, May 09, 2017 at 09:39:25AM +0000:
>I would recommend the second method (-n "nfs://10.10.10.100:/data/col1/bkup-share" -d $TargetDir2).
>Then, when booting on the first iso (the one created by mondoarchive in your $TargetDir2), that TargetDir2 directory will be NFS automagically mounted to restore the other iso files ; because the NFS mount information are stored in that first iso, in mondo-restore.cfg file (in tmp directory of images/all.tar.gz), you can check it by opening the first iso through 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org).

Indeed, same recommendation.
And wrt questions:

>From: Nikolaos Milas [mailto:[hidden email]]
>1. Are both backup methods above considered OK to use?

Yes.

>2. Is it considered sane practice to use the NFS backup method on a network NFS share which is already mounted on the box?

Yes.

>2. If both methods are considered OK, how could we compare their advantages/disadvantages?

Using ISO you don't incorporate network info in the media. So at restore time you'll have to give all the params manually.
And network won't be started automatically either you'll have to force it.
Thus:

>3. What are the differences in restoring? In general, are (should) mondoarchive backups be able to be restored with any restore method, regardless the method they have been taken?
>
>As an example:
>Can backups of both methods above be restored as mounted ISOs (virtual DVDs)?

Yes.

>Can backups of both methods above be restored from a mounted directory (as NFS mount) with the "Restore from Hard Disk" method?

Yes.

>Can backups of both methods above be restored using network (NFS) restore method?

No.

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead    http://github.com/bcornec