[Mondo-devel] FW: Mindi failed on CentOS 7.2

[Mondo-devel] FW: Mindi failed on CentOS 7.2

Zbynek Sykora

Hi,

I am trying to create an Rescue Disk with Mondo/Mindi and I get following error:

FATAL ERROR. Please install syslinux.efi first. …

See attached mindi.log.

For test purposes I installed only minimal installation of CentOS 7.2 on HP Proliant Server with RAID.

HW:

HP Proliant DL120 gen 9 with Dynamic Storage Array B140i

OS:

CentOS 7.2.1511 Minimal Installation 64 b

with HP RHEL 7.2 RAID drivers (hpdsa-1.2.8-107.rhel7u2.x86_64.dd)

could you give me, please, some suggestion on this error.

In attachement you will find an mindi.log and also tree dump of my /boot folder.

Thank you very much

Regards

Zbynek Sykora

boot-tree.txt (1K) Download Attachment
mindi.log (110K) Download Attachment
mondoarchive.log (139K) Download Attachment

Re: [Mondo-devel] FW: Mindi failed on CentOS 7.2

Zbynek Sykora
I found some solution of this issue - CentOS 7.2 includes an old version of syslinux (4.05) so I have downloded an newer version 6.03 from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/syslinux-6.03.tar.gz and compiled and installed this version on my system.

Then I had to change one line (line 2273) in /usr/sbin/mindi script:
original:
cp $LDLINUXE64/../libutil.c32 $efidir 2>> $LOGFILE || Die "Cannot copy $LDLINUXE64 to $efidir). Did you run out of disk space?"
changed:
cp $(dirname "${LDLINUXE64}")/libutil.c32 $efidir 2>> $LOGFILE || Die "Cannot copy $LDLINUXE64 to $efidir). Did you run out of disk space?"

after this change I was able to make mindi test and then the whole backup with mondoarchive:
# mondoarchive -OVn nfs://192.168.100.3:/DiskD -d /Images/hostivit -E '/mnt/backup' -p 'hostivit'

where 192.168.100.3:/DiskD is my IP and share (on NAS Server), and /Images/hostivit is my folder where the ISO files should be saved.

after burning first iso file on CD  i wasn't able to boot from it so i tried make an USB Key with the same iso file (using rufus software on Windows machine) this had successeded and I was able to boot from USB, but I had to put the CD in CDROM bay too, because without it the mondorestore failed to start (unable to find CD-ROM), but with CD ROM inserted mondorestore starts and I was able to successfully compare the iso files saved on my network with my system but only with following command:
#mondorestore -p 'hostivit' -n nfs://192.168.100.3:/DiskD -d /Images/hostivit -Z compare
(without -Z compare I was not able to run compare - every time I got alert "Cannot mount the device where the ISO files are restored" - I must make some mistake in answering the questions even if I said nfs protokol it uses netfs)

BUT after trying to restore "Automatically" the mondorestore failed on fdisk partitions because i use RAID 5 (HP Smart Array B140i) with four 1TB harddisks and the logic capacity exceed 2TB (it is ca 3TB). So now i am stuck on it.
How can I say mondorestore not to use fdisk or not to partition and format destination disk?

I try to boot in expert mode and then run following command:
#mondorestore -p 'hostivit' -n nfs://192.168.100.3:/DiskD -d /Images/hostivit
then I choose "interactive" but I must make some mistake in answering the questions because mondorestore stops with alert "Cannot mount the device where the ISO files are restored"
Is there any "How To" on restoring from "Net Mount"?

thank a lot for any advice or explanation

Re: [Mondo-devel] FW: Mindi failed on CentOS 7.2

Brett Gamlin
I had this same "FATAL ERROR. Please install syslinux" error with Mindi
(version 3.0.2-1.rhel7) on Centos 7.2.

As a workaround, I resolved the issue by making a simple change to the code
in the "prepareDataDiskImages" procedure in the mindi script in /usr/sbin/.

It seems that when the script checks for the distribution type by running
the command "pbdistrocheck" is it only checking the returned distro name
for "rhel" or "debian" to decide whether to use grub or syslinux.  All
other distros, including centos fall through to final else statement and
try to run syslinux instead.

I just changed the if test on lines 2213 and 2217 from:

if [ $dname = "rhel" ] && [ $dver = "6" ]; then

elif [ $dname = "rhel" ] && [ $dver = "7" ]; then

to:

if [ $dname = "rhel" -o $dname = "centos" ] && [ $dver = "6" ]; then

elif [ $dname = "rhel" -o $dname = "centos" ] && [ $dver = "7" ]; then

Perhaps the test could be changed to check for distro family instead of
name, but I will leave that to the developers to resolve.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Re: [Mondo-devel] FW: Mindi failed on CentOS 7.2

Bruno Cornec-4
Brett Gamlin said on Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 02:38:37AM +0000:
>It seems that when the script checks for the distribution type by running
>the command "pbdistrocheck" is it only checking the returned distro name
>for "rhel" or "debian" to decide whether to use grub or syslinux.  All
>other distros, including centos fall through to final else statement and
>try to run syslinux instead.

Exactly. And it should work in most cases BTW. We've made also progresses wrt syslinux on UEFI but more about that later on.

>I just changed the if test on lines 2213 and 2217 from:
>
>if [ $dname = "rhel" ] && [ $dver = "6" ]; then
>to:
>if [ $dname = "rhel" -o $dname = "centos" ] && [ $dver = "6" ]; then

Thanks adopted !