Quantcast

[Mondo-devel] DNS available during recovery

[Mondo-devel] DNS available during recovery

Tim.Nelson

Is it possible to have DNS available during a boothelper recovery ?

I am trying to use a generic DNS name for my NFS mount during recovery and DNS does not seem to be available during an expert recovery.

Thoughts ?

( maybe I am missing something simple )

Re: [Mondo-devel] DNS available during recovery

Bruno Cornec-2
[hidden email] said on Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 03:13:22PM -0500:

> Is it possible to have DNS available during a boothelper recovery ?

Use a pre=/path/to/script to set it up.
You should just need a /etc/resolv.conf file at restore time.

Or force it in the initrd with the deplist.txt file.

Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com
HP/Intel/Red Hat Open Source Solutions Initiative  / http://www.hpintelco.net
http://www.HyPer-Linux.org  http://mondorescue.org http://project-builder.org
La musique ancienne?  http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org

Re: [Mondo-devel] DNS available during recovery

Tim.Nelson

Thanks for the quick response Bruno.

I think the issue may be that the mindi/busibox does not include any resolver capabilities. ( or I do not know what I am talking about :)

e.g.
(booted from mindi boothelper.iso
(With /etc/resolv.conf  included / configured )

#ping my.host.com
unknown host

#mount -t nfs -o rw,nolock my.host.com:/recovery /tmp/iso
mount:  can;t get address for my.host.com

any more thoughts ?

Bruno Cornec <[hidden email]>

04/16/2010 05:12 PM

Please respond to
Mondo mailing list <[hidden email]>

Mondo mailing list <[hidden email]>
cc
Subject

[hidden email] said on Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:27:42AM -0500:

> I think the issue may be that the mindi/busibox does not include any
> resolver capabilities. ( or I do not know what I am talking about :)
>
> e.g.
> (booted from mindi boothelper.iso
> (With /etc/resolv.conf  included / configured )
>
> #ping my.host.com
> unknown host

Maybe you're also missing the /etc/nsswitch.conf file at least.

If you include strace in your boot env, then you could strace the ping
process and verify which files are requested/missing.