Quantcast

[Mondo-devel] CentOS 7: restore fails

12

Re: [Mondo-devel] CentOS 7: restore fails

Nikolaos Milas
On 24/12/2016 1:50 πμ, Bruno Cornec wrote:

> Wrong link;-)  Useftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test/centos/7/x86_64/  It's now there.

Thanks Bruno,

I upgraded, got a new backup (successfully) and then tried to restore;
it failed in the same way (restore seemingly ended fine but the VM
wouldn't boot), I am afraid.

I was hoping it was going to be a Christmas gift, but it seems it wasn't...

So, the only Christmas gift is going to be a set of mondoarchive.log and
mondorestore.log. :-(

Here they are:

http://iweb.noa.gr/files/mondoarchive-nm-20161224-01.log
http://iweb.noa.gr/files/mondorestore-nm-20161224-01.log

I hope they might help.

In any case, Merry Christmas!

Cheers,
Nick

Re: [Mondo-devel] CentOS 7: restore fails

Bruno Cornec-4
Hello,

Nikolaos Milas said on Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 12:04:10AM +0200:
>So, the only Christmas gift is going to be a set of mondoarchive.log and
>mondorestore.log. :-(
>
>Here they are:
>
>http://iweb.noa.gr/files/mondoarchive-nm-20161224-01.log
>http://iweb.noa.gr/files/mondorestore-nm-20161224-01.log
>
>I hope they might help.

Well somehow yes, it helps.
In your case grub doesn't install correctly.

DBG4: [Main] libmondo-tools.c->read_cfg_var#1069: Configuration item bootloader.name is GRUB
DBG2: [Main] ../src/mondorestore/mondo-rstr-tools.c->run_boot_loader#1288: run_boot_loader: device='/dev/vda', name='GRUB'
INFO: Non-interactive mode: no way to give you the keyboard so that you re-generate your initrd. Hope it's OK
DBG1: [Main] ../src/mondorestore/mondo-rstr-tools.c->offer_to_make_initrd#1245: Non-interactive mode: no way to give you the keyboard so that you re-generate your initrd. Hope
it's OK
INFO: running: which mr-grub > /tmp/mondo.tmp.KV7msl/mondo-run-prog-thing.tmp 2> /tmp/mondo.tmp.KV7msl/mondo-run-prog-thing.err
INFO: --------------------------------start of output-----------------------------
INFO: /bin/mr-grub
INFO: --------------------------------end of output------------------------------
INFO: ...ran just fine. :-)
DBG1: [Main] ../src/mondorestore/mondo-rstr-tools.c->run_grub#1467: Yay! mr-grub found...
DBG1: [Main] ../src/mondorestore/mondo-rstr-tools.c->run_grub#1469: command = mr-grub /dev/vda /tmp/mountlist.txt
INFO: Running GRUB...
DBG2: [Main] ../src/mondorestore/mondo-rstr-tools.c->run_grub#1476: mr-grub /dev/vda /tmp/mountlist.txt
Now I'll use grub-install
Launching: chroot /mnt/RESTORING grub-install /dev/vda
chroot: can't execute 'grub-install': No such file or directory

This error msg is normal as this is a grub2 version.

grub-install returned 127
Now I'll use grub2-install

So we jump now to that version.

Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub2-install: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/vda1.  Check your device.map.

THat's probably the issue here. Could you give us your /boot/grub2/device.map file please ?

grub2-install returned 1
Trying a hack
Checking usr/lib/grub/i386-pc
Cannot find BOOTPATHNAME
.............Cool.
device (hd0) /dev/vda

As the grub2-install didn't worked we tride something which didn't work either. I'll see to fix that one, if I can. But in fact the first one should be theone which works out of the box, which is the case on my test on a physical server on RHEL7 on my side. Not with CentoS7 on virtual server in your case.

>In any case, Merry Christmas!

You too and all the reader of this mailing list as well !

On 26/12/2016 1:47 πμ, Bruno Cornec wrote:

> In your case grub doesn't install correctly.
> grub2-install: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/vda1.  Check your device.map.
>
> THat's probably the issue here. Could you give us your /boot/grub2/device.map file please ?

Thanks Bruno,

Here it is:

    # this device map was generated by anaconda
    (hd0)      /dev/vda
    (hd1)      /dev/vda

Interestingly, I found that all my CentOS 7 VMs have the same
/boot/grub2/device.map, which seemingly refers to two HDs, although the
VM in fact includes only one (virtual) HD:

    [root@dns2 dns4]# parted -l
    Model: Linux device-mapper (linear) (dm)
    Disk /dev/mapper/centos-swap: 2147MB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: loop
    Disk Flags:

    Number  Start  End     Size    File system     Flags
      1      0.00B  2147MB  2147MB  linux-swap(v1)

    Model: Linux device-mapper (linear) (dm)
    Disk /dev/mapper/centos-root: 18.8GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: loop
    Disk Flags:

    Number  Start  End     Size    File system  Flags
      1      0.00B  18.8GB  18.8GB  xfs

    Model: Virtio Block Device (virtblk)
    Disk /dev/vda: 21.5GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos
    Disk Flags:

    Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
      1      1049kB  525MB   524MB   primary  xfs          boot
      2      525MB   21.5GB  20.9GB  primary               lvm

This is NOT the case with my CentOS 5 and CentOS 6 VMs, which all have a
"correct" device map, with a single (hda0) entry.

Is the above behavior expected? If not, what should be the expected way
of operation and how do we fix things up?

Many Thanks!
Nick

Nikolaos Milas said on Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 11:37:38AM +0200:
>> grub2-install: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/vda1.  Check your device.map.
>> THat's probably the issue here. Could you give us your /boot/grub2/device.map file please ?
>    # this device map was generated by anaconda
>    (hd0)      /dev/vda
>    (hd1)      /dev/vda

Humm doesn't look right to me. There should be only one line, typically:
(hd0)      /dev/vda

Now, I'm not sure this is the cause of the problem with grub-install, but you could try. Amend your device.map file and run grub2-install again after a chroot in /mnt/RESTORING to see whether it's behaving better.

>Interestingly, I found that all my CentOS 7 VMs have the same
>/boot/grub2/device.map, which seemingly refers to two HDs, although the
>VM in fact includes only one (virtual) HD:

Strange.

>Is the above behavior expected? If not, what should be the expected way
>of operation and how do we fix things up?

I'm not sure yet. But at install time, grub2 is installed correctly, because you're able to reboot on it.
Now if mondorestore does it, it doesn't work.

It's always difficult to comment without the conf below the fingers to try.

Re: [Mondo-devel] CentOS 7: restore fails

Nikolaos Milas
On 26/12/2016 1:47 πμ, Bruno Cornec wrote:

> Well somehow yes, it helps.
> In your case grub doesn't install correctly.

I tried amending /boot/grub2/device.map and rebooting, but nothing
changed. You advised me to run grub2-install but at the end of all these
automatic restores, there is nothing in the /mnt/RESTORING directory.
What should I do, if I try again?

Following my unsuccessful "Automatic" recoveries (nuke),  I tried two
more times using the Interactive restore method; I did not modify
anything during the restore process, except that I commented out an nfs
mount in /etc/fstab.

I did not rebuild initrd; In fact, I don't know if I should (I am
restoring to the same geometry), and even if I should, I don't know how
to do it on CentOS 7 (ramfs etc.). If I should, can someone provide
directions on how to do it?

In both cases it seems I faced some bug at the last stage because the
restore did not end up gracefully. See attached image.

In both cases the generated mondorestore.log was not available (when I
booted with Knoppix), so in the third restore effort I took care to copy
it safely beforehand.

Here are links to the mondoarchive.log of the backup taken and the
mondorestore.log of the (failed) interactive restore:

    http://iweb.noa.gr/files/mondoarchive-nm-20170104-01.log
    http://iweb.noa.gr/files/mondorestore-nm-20170104-01.log

Needless to say, these restores won't boot either.

Please advise on how to move forward!!

Thanks a lot,
Nick

mond-failure-20170104-01.png (24K) Download Attachment

On 4/1/2017 4:21 μμ, Nikolaos Milas wrote:

> I tried amending /boot/grub2/device.map and rebooting, but nothing
> changed. You advised me to run grub2-install but at the end of all
> these automatic restores, there is nothing in the /mnt/RESTORING
> directory. What should I do, if I try again?

Although I haven't had any feedback here, I asked at the CentOS mailing
list and it turns out that almost all (but it seems there may be some
exceptions) CentOS 7 installations, both virtual and physical do have
these "duplicate" entries in device.map. So, my case is the rule, not an
exception.

In any case, I don't think that this is the cause of the restore problem.

> Following my unsuccessful "Automatic" recoveries (nuke),  I tried two
> more times using the Interactive restore method; I did not modify
> anything during the restore process, except that I commented out an
> nfs mount in /etc/fstab.
>
> I did not rebuild initrd; In fact, I don't know if I should (I am
> restoring to the same geometry), and even if I should, I don't know
> how to do it on CentOS 7 (ramfs etc.). If I should, can someone
> provide directions on how to do it?

Could this possibly help resolve issues? If so, please guide me on how
to rebuild initrd (or whatever)!

> In both cases it seems I faced some bug at the last stage because the
> restore did not end up gracefully. See attached image.
>
> In both cases the generated mondorestore.log was not available (when I
> booted with Knoppix), so in the third restore effort I took care to
> copy it safely beforehand.
>
> Here are links to the mondoarchive.log of the backup taken and the
> mondorestore.log of the (failed) interactive restore:
>
>    http://iweb.noa.gr/files/mondoarchive-nm-20170104-01.log
>    http://iweb.noa.gr/files/mondorestore-nm-20170104-01.log
>
> Needless to say, these restores won't boot either.
>
> Please advise on how to move forward!!

I will indeed appreciate your feedback!

Please help me to find what may be going wrong.

Thanks a lot,
Nick

On 9/1/2017 3:50 μμ, Nikolaos Milas wrote:

> I will indeed appreciate your feedback!
>
> Please help me to find what may be going wrong.

As a parallel experiment, I tried a restore of a CentOS 6 backup on the
same VM (both had the same virtual disk size).

(My motive was to check whether mondo behaves OK with our Virtualization
Provider's VM technology on the particular Virtualization cluster.)

The restore, using the Automatic ("nuke") method, went pretty fine! I
didn't regenerate initrd nor changed anything during the restore.

(As as side note, two other experiments restoring automatically ("nuke")
a different geometry VM, i.e. a backup of a greater HD size to a VM of a
smaller HD size, failed, but that's a different story; I might post a
different message on that.)

So, it does remain a question why our CentOS 7 restored backups won't
boot no matter what.

I do thank Bruno for looking into the grub2-install problem, which most
probably is the cause. If there is anything I can do to help, I'll be
glad to!

I look forward to any news on it!

Thanks,
Nick

Nikolaos Milas said on Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 03:50:38PM +0200:
>> I did not rebuild initrd; In fact, I don't know if I should (I am
>> restoring to the same geometry), and even if I should, I don't know
>> how to do it on CentOS 7 (ramfs etc.). If I should, can someone
>> provide directions on how to do it?
>
>Could this possibly help resolve issues? If so, please guide me on how
>to rebuild initrd (or whatever)!

 If you restore on the same HW, there is no obvious reason to rebuild the initrd. This is mainly to allow people cloning to another platform to make the mandatory modifications (have the right drivers in their initrd)

>> Here are links to the mondoarchive.log of the backup taken and the
>> mondorestore.log of the (failed) interactive restore:
>>
>>    http://iweb.noa.gr/files/mondoarchive-nm-20170104-01.log
>>    http://iweb.noa.gr/files/mondorestore-nm-20170104-01.log
>>
>> Needless to say, these restores won't boot either.

For me the major problem is to solve that error:
grub2-install: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/vda1.  Check your device.map.

At thatpoint, it would require to use the possibility to rebuild the inirtd, use that shell generated to have a look around, at devices, files, under /mnt/RESTORING to check what is good, and what is not. I can't give you much more guidance here, as this is really dependent on what would be found :-(

The other error I dislike (but that's out of your control, just mine) is this one:
DBG1: libmondo-fork.c->mr_getline_int#310: mr_getline_ found a non freed variable here
INFO: SIGABRT signal received from OS
INFO: Abort - probably failed assertion. I'm sleeping for a few seconds so you can read the message.
DBG1: [Main] ../common/newt-specific.c->fatal_error#304: Fatal error received - 'MondoRescue is terminating in response to a signal from the OS'

which generally indicates a crash of the mondorestore binary.
So I'll try to have a look at that one, but I wasn't able to reproduce, so again may be hard to find due to that.

On 19/1/2017 11:16 πμ, Bruno Cornec wrote:

> FYI, now available at ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test
> Doesn't fix all that was planned as usual, but should work fine on most distros (pending UEFI support for debs)
> Give it a try and let me know what still needs work (including packaging)

Hi Bruno,

I tried the final beta you published on my CentOS 7, to see how things go.

I did a backup and restore, and it still won't boot, but the screen now
displays an "Error 17" which did not earlier.

I tried to "repair" the boot loader of the restored system by booting
with CentOS 7 boot CD, and then selecting Troubleshooting. The partition
was mounted and then I tried to repair, but it didn't work. See attached
image -02.

Then I thought (probably falsely) to try to apply the grub2-install
command to /dev/vda and I got no errors, See attached image -03a.

Then I tried to reboot but it didn't work. See attached image -04.

Any ideas will be welcome...

I am a bit worried because all my backups are based on mondo and I feel
unsafe by knowing that I can't restore any of my CentOS 7 backups
successfully. I need at least a workaround.

Thanks,
Nick

mondo-20170120-02.png (32K) Download Attachment
mondo-20170120-03a.png (17K) Download Attachment
mondo-20170120-04.png (14K) Download Attachment

Nikolaos Milas said on Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 05:38:31PM +0200:
>On 19/1/2017 11:16 πμ, Bruno Cornec wrote:
>
>>FYI, now available at ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test
>>Doesn't fix all that was planned as usual, but should work fine on most distros (pending UEFI support for debs)
>>Give it a try and let me know what still needs work (including packaging)
>
>Then I tried to reboot but it didn't work. See attached image -04.

Humm seems you have a mismatch between the IDs referenced in your grub conf and what exists on your system.
Have a look at http://mondorescue.org/docs/p2v.pdf
Old now, put still pretty acurate wrt what you have to do.

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead    http://github.com/bcornec

12