Quantcast

[Mondo-devel] CentOS 7: restore fails

12

[Mondo-devel] CentOS 7: restore fails

Nikolaos Milas
Hello,

It's been some time since I last tried to restore mondo backups. In the
past I had success (with CentOS 5 and 6), both with actual restores and
with cloning (restore as new VMs).

Now, with CentOS 7 (installed from mondo repo), I can't restore. Backups
seem fine, restore appears to complete fine too, but the restored VM
won't boot. It hungs during booting: "Booting from Hard Disk..." for
ever (see screenshot at the end).

I have attached the mondoarchive.log (gzipped) of the archived VM.

I can't access the new (restored) VM to get mondorestore.log, but here
follow some screenshots of the process.

Please, let me know what may be wrong and advise me on how to achieve
successful restores.

My software:

mondo-3.2.220160426154116-0.rhel7.x86_64
mindi-3.0.220160426154116-0.rhel7.x86_64
mindi-busybox-1.21.1-1.rhel7.x86_64

Thanks in advance,
Nick

mondoarchive.log.gz (98K) Download Attachment

Re: [Mondo-devel] CentOS 7: restore fails

Nikolaos Milas
On 8/12/2016 12:37 μμ, Nikolaos Milas wrote:

> I can't access the new (restored) VM to get mondorestore.log, but here
> follow some screenshots of the process.

My screenshots did not make it before, so I am trying again:

Nick

[Mondo-devel] [SPAM] Re: CentOS 7: restore fails

Nikolaos Milas
On 8/12/2016 12:43 μμ, Nikolaos Milas wrote:

My screenshots did not make it before, so I am trying again:

And once more:

Thanks,
Nick

Re: [Mondo-devel] CentOS 7: restore fails

Nikolaos Milas
On 8/12/2016 12:37 μμ, Nikolaos Milas wrote:

> Now, with CentOS 7 (installed from mondo repo), I can't restore.
> Backups seem fine, restore appears to complete fine too, but the
> restored VM won't boot. It hungs during booting: "Booting from Hard
> Disk..." for ever (see screenshot at the end).

Hi again,

Any ideas on the cause of the problem?

I would like to add that I have tried multiple times to restore, both
using the Nuke and the Interactive options, and the behavior is always
the same: The restored or cloned VM won't boot.

What could I try? Please help to resolve.

(Sorry to have sent the mail with the screenshots, which it seems to
have been characterized as spam, but I believe it might help. As I
understand, it has been delivered successfully, in the end.)

Thanks,
Nick

Re: [Mondo-devel] CentOS 7: restore fails

Marco Gaiarin
Mandi! Nikolaos Milas
  In chel di` si favelave...

> Any ideas on the cause of the problem?

Initrd not correctly rebuilt?

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin        GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''          http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/

    http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/25/index.php/component/k2/item/123

Re: [Mondo-devel] CentOS 7: restore fails

Stanislav Tokoš
Hi Nikolaos,

  I have a similar issue on SLE11SP3.

I have already write this issue to mailing list:

     We fixed this problem by a newer version of the syslinux package.
We backported from openSUSE 13.1.

     The original version was  3.82-8.10.23. The new version is 4.04-0.
It was built by openBuild Service.

It could help you.

Have a nice day

Stanislav

On 13/12/2016 3:27 μμ, Stanislav Tokoš wrote:

> The original version was  3.82-8.10.23. The new version is 4.04-0. It
> was built by openBuild Service.

Thank you Stanislav for your advice.

CentOS 7 (updated to current status i.e. release 7.2.1511) already
includes syslinux v4.05.

I have also tried to check initrd to make sure everything looks fine and
I didn't notice anything abnormal. I restored to a VM with identical
specifications (to the original), so it should work out of the box, as
it had numerous times in the past.

I hope someone will be able to trace the source of the problem.

Thanks,
Nick

Re: [Mondo-devel] CentOS 7: restore fails

Bruno Cornec-4
Hello Nikolaos,

Nikolaos Milas said on Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 07:40:07PM +0200:
>I hope someone will be able to trace the source of the problem.

Well, seeing at which point it blocks, I think this is linked to the restore of the boot loader on your drive.
Depending on your hypevisor, it may present the restored VM with something not called /dev/vda as during backup and first restore maybe ? (even if I doubt).

The best approach would be to not reboot after restore, type mount-me at prompt chroot into /mnt/RESTORING and check that grub has been written correctly without error (and look at the log file to see what happened at that step which may be the one failing.

Nikolaos Milas said on Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 12:37:53PM +0200:
>I have attached the mondoarchive.log (gzipped) of the archived VM.

BTW it seems you miss the xattr package as getattr is not found. Maybe part of the problem as well.

On 20/12/2016 1:22 μμ, Bruno Cornec wrote:

> BTW it seems you miss the xattr package as getattr is not found. Maybe part of the problem as well.

Hi Bruno,

You mean php-pecl-xattr? If not, which package do you mean?

I tried to find which package includes xattr or getattr ("yum
whatprovides") and I found a great number of possible packages! I
couldn't conclude which one would be the one you mean.

By the way, if one such package is really needed, why isn't it installed
as a dependency? I installed using mondo repo.

Thank you,
Nick

Re: [Mondo-devel] CentOS 7: restore fails

Rick Stevens
On 12/20/2016 01:01 PM, Nikolaos Milas wrote:
> On 20/12/2016 1:22 μμ, Bruno Cornec wrote:
>
>> BTW it seems you miss the xattr package as getattr is not found. Maybe part of the problem as well.

The generic commands are "getfattr" and "setfattr". "attr" itself does
that but is primarily used on XFS filesystems.

All are provided by the attr RPM on Fedora/CentOS/RHEL, e.g.:

[root@golem4 ~]# dnf info attr
Last metadata expiration check: 3:07:17 ago on Tue Dec 20 09:59:44 2016.
Installed Packages
Name        : attr
Arch        : x86_64
Epoch       : 0
Version     : 2.4.47
Release     : 16.fc24
Size        : 154 k
Repo        : @System
From repo   : @commandline
Summary     : Utilities for managing filesystem extended attributes
URL         : http://acl.bestbits.at/
License     : GPLv2+
Description : A set of tools for manipulating extended attributes on
filesystem
            : objects, in particular getfattr(1) and setfattr(1).
            : An attr(1) command is also provided which is largely
compatible
            : with the SGI IRIX tool of the same name.

[root@golem4 ~]# rpm -ql attr
/usr/bin/attr
/usr/bin/getfattr
/usr/bin/setfattr
/usr/share/doc/attr
/usr/share/doc/attr/CHANGES
/usr/share/licenses/attr
/usr/share/licenses/attr/COPYING
/usr/share/licenses/attr/COPYING.LGPL
/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/attr.mo
/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/attr.mo
/usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/attr.mo
/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/attr.mo
/usr/share/locale/gl/LC_MESSAGES/attr.mo
/usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/attr.mo
/usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/attr.mo
/usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/attr.mo
/usr/share/man/man1/attr.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/getfattr.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/setfattr.1.gz
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    [hidden email] -
- AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 226437340           Yahoo: origrps2 -
-                                                                    -
-     Is that a buffer overflow or are you just happy to see me?     -

Nikolaos Milas said on Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 11:01:21PM +0200:
>By the way, if one such package is really needed, why isn't it installed
>as a dependency? I installed using mondo repo.

In addition to the other answer (thanks !) I can't really force the installation of these packages as they are only needed if you use extended attributes,n typically when using SELinux. But not everybody is using it.

But that's a valid point, and I may re-consider that in the future...

On 21/12/2016 1:59 πμ, Bruno Cornec wrote:

> In addition to the other answer (thanks !) I can't really force the installation of these packages as they are only needed if you use extended attributes,n typically when using SELinux. But not everybody is using it.

I am trying to experiment more, and I tried backing up a new CentOS 7 VM
(which I plan to restore for testing), but the backup would not finish
successfully!

In this VM, I had already installed the attr package, but nevertheless,
I tried to archive without the -z option; yet the backup failed every time.

I attach the mondoarchive.log of this backup. Can you please identify
the cause of the problem?

The output was:

     #  /usr/sbin/mondoarchive -O -i -N -s 4480m -d "/mnt/dd2500-1/dns4"
     -S "/mondoscratch" -T "/mondotmp" -E "/mnt" -9

     Mindi failed to create your boot+data disks.
     Fatal error... Failed to generate boot+data disks
     ---FATALERROR--- Failed to generate boot+data disks
     If you require technical support, please contact the mailing list.
     See http://www.mondorescue.org for details.
     The list's members can help you, if you attach that file to your
e-mail.
     Log file: /var/log/mondoarchive.log
     Mondo has aborted.
     rm: cannot remove
     \u2018/mondotmp/mondo.tmp.jwPtaO/mountpoint.24111\u2019: Device or
     resource busy
     Execution run ended; result=254

I also tried without the N, S, T options, and I always got the same result.

Thanks,
Nick

mondoarchive.log (323K) Download Attachment

Nikolaos Milas said on Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 09:02:27PM +0200:
>In this VM, I had already installed the attr package, but
>nevertheless, I tried to archive without the -z option; yet the backup
>failed every time.

Keep using the -z option, especially if you use SELinux ! Without it, your system won't allow you to log in after restore.

>    Mindi failed to create your boot+data disks.
>    Fatal error... Failed to generate boot+data disks
>    ---FATALERROR--- Failed to generate boot+data disks
>    If you require technical support, please contact the mailing list.
>    See http://www.mondorescue.org for details.
>    The list's members can help you, if you attach that file to your
>e-mail.
>    Log file: /var/log/mondoarchive.log

I have reproduced errors on my side while I'm working on solving the reported issues on the ML since yesterday. So I'll give you a new version to try lter today.

>cp: error writing ‘/mondotmp/mondo.tmp.jwPtaO/mountpoint.24111//usr/lib/firmware/intel-ucode/06-09-05’: No space left on device
>cp: failed to extend ‘/mondotmp/mondo.tmp.jwPtaO/mountpoint.24111//usr/lib/firmware/intel-ucode/06-09-05’: No space left on device

That's probably however the error you have. You need probably to increase EXTRA_SPACE in /etc/mindi/mindi.conf. Put 300000 to see.

On 20/12/2016 1:21 μμ, Bruno Cornec wrote:

Well, seeing at which point it blocks, I think this is linked to the restore of the boot loader on your drive.
Depending on your hypevisor, it may present the restored VM with something not called /dev/vda as during backup and first restore maybe ? (even if I doubt).

Hi Bruno,

Hypervisor is KVM. /dev/vda is used universally. I have done multiple restores in the past (CentOS 5 and 6) without problems. I have not had any success with CentOS 7 restores yet.

The best approach would be to not reboot after restore, type mount-me at prompt chroot into /mnt/RESTORING and check that grub has been written correctly without error (and look at the log file to see what happened at that step which may be the one failing.

I tried "mount-me" but no command found; After searching a bit, I found /usr/bin/mr-mount-me and tried it, but it failed:
sh-4.2# mr-mount-me
I think I failed to mount /dev/centos/root
mount: unknown filesystem type 'lvm'
Failed to mount /dev/vda2
I think I failed to mount /dev/vda2
3 errors occurred during mounting process.
I also tried to cd /mnt/RESTORING and then to /boot/grub/. In there I only found one file named splash.xpm.gz.

df -h shows:
/dev/shm     256.0M 360.0K 255.6M  0% /tmp
/dev/mapper/centos-root
              17.3G   1.4G  15.9G  8% /mnt/RESTORING
/dev/vda1    496.7M 211.2M 285.5M 43% /mnt/RESTORING/boot
Checking mondorestore.log, I find interesting:

Please let me know of any findings. Any advice will be welcome!

Thanks!
Nick

On 21/12/2016 9:19 μμ, Bruno Cornec wrote:

> That's probably however the error you have. You need probably to increase EXTRA_SPACE in /etc/mindi/mindi.conf. Put 300000 to see.

Yes, that did the trick! Thanks!

So, I finally got this backup and tried to restore unsuccessfully, as in
all other cases I have described.

I do hope that the info I posted in my last mail (from the restored VM)
may help in isolating the cause of the problem.

Looking forward to any clues!

Cheers,
Nick

Re: [Mondo-devel] CentOS 7: restore fails

Nikolaos Milas said on Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 12:36:01PM +0200:

Humm, please setup your mail reading to send at least also text msg.

>    </tt><tt>Hypervisor is KVM. /dev/vda is used universally. I have
>      done multiple restores in the past (CentOS 5 and 6) without

Well, each distros has its specificities. I'm really well aware of that with the boot process in particular.

>    </tt><tt>I tried "mount-me" but no command found; After searching a

Yes, sorry for that, I changed the names to make them more homogeneous (mr- prefix) but forgot that
>    </tt>

Yes, you need to setup LVM before doing it.
look at the commands in /tmp/-i-want-my-lvm and take the first ones (to activate LVM):
Typically:
lvm vgchange -an
lvm vgscan
lvm vgchange -a y centos

>    <tt>I also tried to cd /mnt/RESTORING and then to /boot/grub/. In
>      there I only found one file named splash.xpm.gz.<br>

Not so good then.

>      df -h shows: <br>

Ok, so your /mnt/RESTORING was indeed mounted !
So that's good. Even the lvm part succeeded it seems.

Please then get the /mnt/RESTORING/var/log/mondorestore.log file and send it to us.

After that could make a new try with the version which will be generated this night under ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test/ubuntu/16.04/
Please update all the component to be sure. I fixed many small issues during my own tests on RHEL6 and RHEL7 so hopfully you should be in a better shape after.

On 23/12/2016 8:09 μμ, Bruno Cornec wrote:

> Humm, please setup your mail reading to send at least also text msg.

Sorry, I sent HTML so as to include the screenshots inline! (Probably I
should have rather sent them as attachments to a text message.)

> Well, each distros has its specificities. I'm really well aware of
> that with the boot process in particular.

I meant that /dev/vda (, vdb etc.) is universally used in our host's
systems. This is what I see in the VM setup environment.

> Yes, sorry for that, I changed the names to make them more homogeneous
> (mr- prefix) but forgot that

We can't remember everything! :-)

> Ok, so your /mnt/RESTORING was indeed mounted !
> So that's good. Even the lvm part succeeded it seems.
>
> Please then get the /mnt/RESTORING/var/log/mondorestore.log file and send it to us.

I managed to get the file -at last- (I used Knoppix to boot and I copied
the file from the mounted HD) and I am attaching it here.

I hope that it will help you understand what really happened and spot
the issue(s)!

> After that could make a new try with the version which will be generated this night under ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test/ubuntu/16.04/
> Please update all the component to be sure. I fixed many small issues during my own tests on RHEL6 and RHEL7 so hopfully you should be in a better shape after.

But this will be an Ubuntu version? (I'm on CentOS 7.) I'll check that
place!

Many thanks,
Nick

mondorestore.log (488K) Download Attachment

Re: [Mondo-devel] CentOS 7: restore fails

Nikolaos Milas
On 23/12/2016 8:09 μμ, Bruno Cornec wrote:

> Humm, please setup your mail reading to send at least also text msg.

Sorry, I sent HTML so as to include the screenshots inline! (Probably I
should have rather sent them as attachments to a text message.)

> Well, each distros has its specificities. I'm really well aware of
> that with the boot process in particular.

I meant that /dev/vda (, vdb etc.) is universally used in our host's
systems. This is what I see in the VM setup environment.

> Yes, sorry for that, I changed the names to make them more homogeneous
> (mr- prefix) but forgot that

We can't remember everything! :-)

> Ok, so your /mnt/RESTORING was indeed mounted !
> So that's good. Even the lvm part succeeded it seems.
>
> Please then get the /mnt/RESTORING/var/log/mondorestore.log file and send it to us.

I managed to get the file -at last- (I used Knoppix to boot and I copied
the file from the mounted HD); you can find it here:

http://iweb.noa.gr/files/mondorestore.log

Nikolaos Milas said on Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 01:06:57AM +0200:
>> After that could make a new try with the version which will be generated this night under ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test/ubuntu/16.04/
>> Please update all the component to be sure. I fixed many small issues during my own tests on RHEL6 and RHEL7 so hopfully you should be in a better shape after.
>
>But this will be an Ubuntu version? (I'm on CentOS 7.) I'll check that
>place!

Wrong link ;-) Use ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test/centos/7/x86_64/ It's now there.

12