[Mondo-devel] Backup with mounted shares: avoiding HD space exhaustion

[Mondo-devel] Backup with mounted shares: avoiding HD space exhaustion

Nikolaos Milas
Hello,

I want to backup a (virtual) CentOS 7 server with an HD of 50GB This
also has a mounted NFS share (sized around 100GB) which I want to backup
too as part of the box.

What is the best practice to avoid HD space exhaustion during backup
(due to temporary files creation)?

Do I need to explicitly define a remote temporary backup location
(mondoarchive with -T directive) on a remote (mounted) share with
sufficient space?

If I perform an NFS backup, will that be safe (to avoid local space
exhaustion during the backup process)? In general, how does mondoarchive
treat the temporary files when doing an NFS backup?

If the mounted share (referred to above) is on the same physical machine
(storage machine) which will be used for the backup (but using a
different share), does it sound safe?

Thanks much,
Nick

Re: [Mondo-devel] Backup with mounted shares: avoiding HD space exhaustion

Bruno Cornec-4
Hello,

Nikolaos Milas said on Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:12:30PM +0300:
>I want to backup a (virtual) CentOS 7 server with an HD of 50GB This
>also has a mounted NFS share (sized around 100GB) which I want to backup
>too as part of the box.
>
>What is the best practice to avoid HD space exhaustion during backup
>(due to temporary files creation)?

Well, I'd backup separately the data from the system. So using rsync e.g. to backup them and mondoarchive for the system using -E to exclude these data dirs.

Now if you want to use MondoRescue for that, then...

>Do I need to explicitly define a remote temporary backup location
>(mondoarchive with -T directive) on a remote (mounted) share with
>sufficient space?

Yes, also a scratch of the size of the media at least. And fix the size of the media to something reasonable such as 4 GB e.g. (which also allow to make physical media out of them).

>If I perform an NFS backup, will that be safe (to avoid local space
>exhaustion during the backup process)? In general, how does mondoarchive
>treat the temporary files when doing an NFS backup?

NFS or local are not handled differently. The place used to build the image is under scratch. All files go there and at the end when the size is reahced, the target image is built at the destination directory. So you also need space at that end. the Temp dir should not be a big issue.

>If the mounted share (referred to above) is on the same physical machine
>(storage machine) which will be used for the backup (but using a
>different share), does it sound safe?

Yes. Just the network may become the bottleneck.

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead    http://github.com/bcornec